Fish ID anyone?

sytanek

fish.jpg

I do not have one of these, but have seen these before and was interested.

Thanks!

Maybe the Bandtail puffer, Sphoeroides spengleri? They are very common in the seagrass flats off of Florida.

>Sarah

Thanks for the input Sarah, that was the other species I was considering, but could not find a really good picture of one.

Awesome I found it, Looks like the little guy is pretty toxic...good thing I didn't really handle him, just dropped him back out of the net.

wow, how many of those do you have?lol.....are they reef safe? probably not, most all puffers are not, but HEY!, maybe htis one may not be "not" reef safe...

As far as I know the toxicity comes from ingesting the flesh from these guys, its probably related to the tetrodotoxins the other puffer fish have. I really hope its not possible to contract any of the toxin from handling it. Otherwise, I should be a goner. :p

On a related note, some reports of toxicity from pufferfish has been traced back to saxitoxin, which is actually derived from marine dinoflagellates. And there is a growing body of evidence that shows that tetrodotoxin isnt actually produced by the fish, but actually comes from several different genus of bacteria. Crazy web of trophic interactions in the watery realm.

>Sarah

lol, well thanks for clearing that up!!

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to keep one of these. It seems they don't get very big.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9813074#post9813074 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Samala
As far as I know the toxicity comes from ingesting the flesh from these guys, its probably related to the tetrodotoxins the other puffer fish have. I really hope its not possible to contract any of the toxin from handling it. Otherwise, I should be a goner. :p

On a related note, some reports of toxicity from pufferfish has been traced back to saxitoxin, which is actually derived from marine dinoflagellates. And there is a growing body of evidence that shows that tetrodotoxin isnt actually produced by the fish, but actually comes from several different genus of bacteria. Crazy web of trophic interactions in the watery realm.

>Sarah

I wish I knew half of what you do!

Back