fish ideas...

xtlosx

Just Reefin'
hey guys, I'm potentially looking to add another fish in the coming weeks, months, who knows, but I'm just looking for ideas...

I have the clowns, orange back fairy wrasse, a YWB, chromis, firefish, and a lawnmower blenny....

I really really like mandarins, but wasn't sure if it would get picked on as it is a very slow & docile fish. Our fairy wrasse is a bit of a butthead, so flashers, lubbocks don't work well with him.

Any other ideas? What would do well with the crowd? At this point it's just brainstorming still, so appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

hey guys, I'm potentially looking to add another fish in the coming weeks, months, who knows, but I'm just looking for ideas...

I have the clowns, orange back fairy wrasse, a YWB, chromis, firefish, and a lawnmower blenny....

I really really like mandarins, but wasn't sure if it would get picked on as it is a very slow & docile fish. Our fairy wrasse is a bit of a butthead, so flashers, lubbocks don't work well with him.

Any other ideas? What would do well with the crowd? At this point it's just brainstorming still, so appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Madarins are awesome looking fish, but survival can be tough in a newer tank without a large pod population. I know that you can feed him too, but a more mature tank would be more beneficial with lots of pods everywhere....

Well, I have to have an orchid dottyback in all of my tanks. See avatar <-----
They are peaceful but will defend themselves if necessary, and the electric purple color is awesome. Plus they are aquacultured and now inexpensive.

Another nice choice would be a royal gramma. About the same temperament as the orchid dottyback and interesting behavior.

Flame hawkfish are also another one of my favorites. They are peaceful but very tough.

Royal Grammas can be aggresive towards other basslets or fish the same size color etc... Hawkfish will eat ornamental shrimp...

IF you have a 90 gallon, why not get a nice tang?

IF you want something docile then I would suggest yello tang, yellow eye kole tang, sailfin, desjardinii, purple, etc...

Hey guys, I have a 60G cube, so no tangs here.... I already have two perching fish in the lawnmower blenny, and the YWG, so something that is out and about a lot more would be great...

Trust me, I wish i had a nice 125G tank so I can have tangs, but the wife isn't buying it right now.

I would stay away from tangs... they're ick magnets and grow fast so will eventually need a larger tank. What about some Bangaii cardinals, pajama cardinals, another wrasse like a radiant or melanurus wrasse. I love my Coperband butterfly too.

I have actually looked at the Bangaii cardinals, but also giving serious thought to trying another wrasse, maybe another lubbocks or something of the sort.

Flasher Wrasse are sweet- but I look at some Redspot Tail Cardinals they are tiny and school in a group- almost look like Neon Tetras

Last edited:
Flasher Wrasse are sweet- but I look at some Redspot Tail Cardinals they are tiny and school in a group- almost look like Neon Tetras

I hear Flashers are generally timid and shy, so need something that isn't afraid of our orange back fairy wrasse... We tried a flasher & lubbocks 4 months ago and they both didn't make it, so with my chances, they were probably all males and got ****y with each other. I very much like wrasses and want to try another one.

I personally wouldn't add anything more to that tank, and would be more tempted to move the saddleback clown.

I tend to like lower stocked tanks. Plus, when/if your clowns pair up and start to spawn there is a very good chance that they will claim the whole tank. The more fish that there are in there, the more aggressive they will become. People tend to underestimate just how aggressive a mated pair of clowns can be towards other fish.

I tend to like lower stocked tanks. Plus, when/if your clowns pair up and start to spawn there is a very good chance that they will claim the whole tank. The more fish that there are in there, the more aggressive they will become. People tend to underestimate just how aggressive a mated pair of clowns can be towards other fish.

Yea, the saddleback spends most of the time in the RBTA, while the Occ hasn't taken to either BTA yet... The baby onyx hasn't left his GBTA, but the saddleback jumps in the GBTA at times, and is face to face with the baby onyx... it's all quite interesting..

I was thinking a lubbocks, or a cleaner wrasse as my choice IF I do decide to stock another fish.

A cleaner wrasse would be a poor choice. First they have a poor track record of survival in our tanks. In addition when in smaller tanks they tend to annoy the heck out of other fish trying to find parasites to eat.

any experience with Yellow Banded Possum Wrasses?

Very cryptic, I would recommend a basslet of some sort. They are small, colorful, and very hardy.

Limited room for fish is one of the inherent issues with a cube tank. While it has 60g of water volume it is still only a 2ft tank no matter what way you spin it.

Back