Fish possibilities for a 3 gal?

One of the extremely small gobies, a neon goby for example.

In any case feeding can be a problem by polluting the tank. I have a 5.5 with a yellow watchman goby and had problems with water quality at first. It's now trained (or maybe he trained me) to go after one substantial piece of food rather than cruising the tank collecting several smaller pieces of food.

I knew it was going to be 1 fish but I was just wondering if it could even be that I am not doing anything soon just wanted to put some feelers out so I could do my research. I was wondering about a Shrimp Goby pair though I have seen others say they have them in a 3 gal but is it ok or not?

other poeple have done it but thats gonna be a high bioload, i dont think it would be fair to the fish either, id say 10g min. for shrimp gobies

Thats what I was thinking but I know I had seen it done and wondered what the people whao have done it had to say about there success or failures with it. Also what cool inverts would you guys recomend if I were to go that way instead of a fish.

I'm going to try myself a hi fin red banded goby with a randals pistol shrimp. I have also seen it done, and people have kept the yellow watchman goby, which is bigger than the hi fin by an inch, in a 3 gallon. You can do it, and I think it is fair to the fish because the fish only darts out to eat food. He doesn't swim around the tank.

it seems to me that the minimum size tanks that people stuff the fish in is just going down as more people are doing it.....sexy shrimp and pom poms are pretty cool inverts, watchman gobies get around 4-6 inches full grown, if you go with a shrimp goby the highfin would be best

i have a clown goby in my 5.5, and he is great. only filtration is AC 30 w/ sand and chaeto, change 1g every couple weeks.

As others have said, one small goby should be perfect. Just keep an eye on your feeding/water parameters as they can go sour pretty quick in a tank that small.

Ive had a small behns damsel in my 2.5g for the last 3-4 months without any problems. He cleaned out all the hair algae and mainly feeds on pods. I only feed him maybe once every two weeks. In the time ive had him he has barely grown which is good because they lose their good coloration as they age. I also have perfect water 0 nitrates nitrites and ammonia.

So id say any small damsel will do fine you just may have to move him if he grows big. With established rock and a mini reef setting you almost never will have to feed it.

Gobies are good but their carnivores so you would have to feed them mysis probably every day and that would put a big load on the tank.

I would say some kind of clown gobi. IMO others are easily spooked (especially in a tank this small) and are jumpers.

Three gallon would be a great size for dwarf seahorses, however their care is very specialized. I looked into doing them with my six gallon, but found that they were going to be more work than they were worth for me.

Dwarf seahorses are awesome, but are a lot of work.

Seahorse.org is THE place to learn about them. They have a forum dedicated to the topic and the folks on there are great about helping neubs.

3G is the perfect size for about 10 ponys. Any smaller is tough to maintain, any larger means trouble at feeding time.

I personally have a evoita goby and a sexy shrimp in my 3 gallon picotope. They seem to be quite happy. The important thing is to find a percher, not a swimmer for the smaller tanks.

Good luck!

Yeah after looking at seahorses a little the Dwarfs seem to be a lot more work than I was thinking of putting in so I will probably go with some type of goby shrimp combo.

Back