Fish room

speedsport

I have a 11ft x 12ft room I'm making in to my fish room. The main tank will be a 125. Then I will have some smaller tanks on racks. My question is. How can I build the racks? Also how can I lay it out? The room looks like this
___====__
l
=
l
II
l_II_______l

II = door
= = window

Kind of bad drawing.

Also the small tanks will have one central sump.

Thanks

Last edited:
Depending upon the size of the smaller tanks, you might just look into some of the heavy duty racks/shelving units they sell at places like Home Depot and Lowes. Some can handle more then 800lbs per shelf (though I certainly wouldn't want to come near capacity on that one).

I don't think you're going to get much cheaper DIYing such a rack yourself unless you are a skilled woodworker or can weld. These are about as cheap as they come in terms of what they can do.

If you weld material you could have extra room due to a lack of 2x4s, and it would be really strong. You could also implement some 100 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks as sumps, fuges and prop tanks underneath everything. I just bought a 100 g stock tank from tractor supply comp. for $67.00. All you have to do is replace the bulkhead and go from there.

You do not even need to weld. You can use aircraft cable or all-thread and aluminum or steel channel to support plywood or similar shelving.

I was just in Home Depot and took a look at those heavy duty shelving units they sell. They are in the neighborhood of $75-$120, which considering the time you'll save in building your own and the somewhat meagre savings you would have over building one similar, is not bad at all.

Also this is for fresh water. I will be making one for salt later. How could I plum the drains and returns for a sump set up?

Back