Fish swimming against front glass, unaware of surroundings

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
The whole story is below but the short version is I have a CBB in QT who is just swimming against the glass, not eating, not paying attention to surroundings, not acting right.

Looking for specific experience and feedback regarding QT of CBB, or experience snapping a fish out of a trance...

Many years ago, when I first got into the hobby, I had tried several CBB and they never made it through QT. I wrote it off to being a difficult fish and decided to only buy established fish from then on. Eventually I got the chance and put that fish directly into my DT. The fish thrived for years and recently (January) died of what I have to assume were "œnatural causes" (healthy established fish, no recent additions, all other fish fine).

This past week I purchased a new CBB from a reefer taking down his tank. This one went into QT but it's not acting right... nosing against the front like it's just trying to swim out into the room, not eating. I saw it picking pellets off the sand bed before I purchased it so I know it was previously eating. The QT setup is a 20g with live rock for shelter and filtration, and I have an air stone and powerhead and heating/cooling. It's not a bare tank so the fish shouldn't be too stressed. It was acting a little more normal the first day or two (in and out of the rocks, watching me, a healthy amount of shy) but now it just spends the whole day swimming against the front glass.

Looking back at my earlier failures with this fish, I'm wondering if they just don't do well in smaller tanks for quarantine? When I had mine in the reef he rarely went into the rocks, so I was thinking about maybe removing some rock from the QT and replacing with plastic plants for cover?

Any other ideas to get this fish to act normal and settle down? I just fed some mysis and he just aggressively swam against the front glass, paying no attention to the food in the tank. I also dropped a mussel in yesterday with no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the Copperband behave normally in the previous tank?
I would also consider using paper or something on the exterior of the tank. It may not resolve his issues but at least he wouldn’t be banging his nose against the glass.

Any changes to the tank, IE: temp, ammonia, nitrite, etc? Any electrical current that was introduced?

I also curious about this behavior. My last 2 that I try behave the same dashing against the glass not eating and of course did not lasted

Back