Fish tank rescue

mc12301

Hi all -

I recently returned to the hobby after a few years off and I am in need of some assistance. I started at what I thought would be a simple 55g FOWLR in about November 2017 and it's recently gotten messy. Set up is as follows....

- 55 g
- about 50 lbs of LR
- Hydor slim skimmer
- two powerheads on each bottom back corner
- 75 g mechanical filter by Aqueon
- 10g WC every two weeks
- custom cutting board bottom (read about this before set up and gave it a shot... looks like sand but easier to maintain)

Current Bioload: ocellaris clown, stag horn damsel, yellow tail damsel, fromia star, and coral banded shrimp.

Everything was going really well. Very little algae. I'd clean glass and siphon out bottom with my WCs. Pretty easy maintenance. Then about a month ago, I changed out by stock flourescents for Current USA Orbit Marine LEDs. Thought it would make things pop. But it also seems to have made algae grow faster than my WCs and cleanings can keep up with.

Right now, I'm dealing with a bunch of algae - (pictures attached)
- daily glass cleaning - that basic cloudy, greenish, brownish stuff that comes off easily
- little tough crusty red/pink spots that have to be scraped off the glass - maybe coralline if I remember correcly?
- clumpy/drippy red stuff that grows on my rock - can easily be siphoned off during WCs but comes back within a few days
- and some pink algae growing on the cutting board bottom, it does not get scraped off at all

Measurements:
- 0 Ammonia
- 0 Nitrites
- 0 Nitrates
- About 1 ppm Phosphate a few days ago (tough to read those tests)

What I've done:
- Noticed the skimmer wasn't collecting as much as it used to, so I cleaned it out and reset it.
- Added GFO reactor.
- Took off the mechanical filter, cleaned it out, and decided to put it aside for now. Had plenty of algae growing on it, so maybe it was storing up too many nutrients.
- Added another powerhead right in the middle of the bottom where algae was most prevalent

Here's my questions:
- Could the new stronger lights be enabling the accelerated algae growth I've seen since adding them?
- Considering my measurements are all good enough, is the skimmer (I think) getting fouled up for a couple weeks likely my culprit?
- Is 1 ppm of phosphate enough to set off significant algae events?
- Is circulation a factor in algae growth? Pretty sure it's not but I have to ask.
- Should I leave the mechanical filter off for now and see how it goes?
- Does the red stuff on the rocks look like cyano? If so, how do I deal with it?

There's nothing catastrophic going on here... pretty sudden, my tank went from low maintenance to me having a much tougher time staying ahead of the algae. Something's gotta be up. I know, I know sump/refugium and all that is best, but I have a pretty light bioload. It shouldn't be this hard.

What does everyone recommend is next? I want to get this back under control.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0341 (1).jpg
    IMG_0341 (1).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0342 (1).jpg
    IMG_0342 (1).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1
I wish I could help you understand the why on this, here's some things I've heard.

Not sure how your testing but I've been told recently that API test kits aren't that awesome and could be giving me false readings.

I didn't see what kind of water your using. I think silicates can lead to these blooms too. Seachem phosguard will pull out phosphates and silicates over about 2-4 days.

Someone else will hopefully chime in but another thing you could try is turning down the light intensity unless you have something in there you need it for. I have the orbits as well and my tank bloomed like you wouldn't believe with diatoms. I didn't fight it immediately and now I have an entire tank covered that is slowly leaving.

Good luck bud.

Yes, getting stronger lights just, um, shined a light on your nutrient problem. Yes, even though you have zero nitrate readings, you have nutrients being taken up via algae growth (if you didn't have the nutrients, the algae wouldn't grow).

Removing your mechanical filter was a good start (yes, it was probably a nitrate factory).

Adding GFO should take care of the phosphates.

With only three fish, you may be feeding too much. Joyce Wilkerson, a noted clown expert back in the day, kept her clowns on a few flakes of food a day.

Another issue may well be an inefficient/undersized skimmer.

But it sounds like you're checking all the right boxes...

Kevin

I wish I could help you understand the why on this, here's some things I've heard.

Not sure how your testing but I've been told recently that API test kits aren't that awesome and could be giving me false readings.

I didn't see what kind of water your using. I think silicates can lead to these blooms too. Seachem phosguard will pull out phosphates and silicates over about 2-4 days.

Someone else will hopefully chime in but another thing you could try is turning down the light intensity unless you have something in there you need it for. I have the orbits as well and my tank bloomed like you wouldn't believe with diatoms. I didn't fight it immediately and now I have an entire tank covered that is slowly leaving.

Good luck bud.

What is your intensity set on your orbits?

During daylight hours, the default was set at 100% across the board. Just reduced everything down to 40% and it still looks sharp. Hopefully that helps. Also made sunrise an hour later and sunset an hour earlier.

Does GFO remove silicates or just phosphate? I've read that most people only run phosphate reactors when they need to, not regularly. True?

Yes, getting stronger lights just, um, shined a light on your nutrient problem. Yes, even though you have zero nitrate readings, you have nutrients being taken up via algae growth (if you didn't have the nutrients, the algae wouldn't grow).

Makes senses. Thanks!

Back