Fish with lots of personality for 40G

DrewWoodside

Hi all,

Just curious to find out what fish have a lot of personality or interest in the owner that can fit in a 40 gallon tank.

My freshwater angel fish and bolivian ram used to follow me around the room and eat out of my hand, so I would love a saltwater fish with a similar dog-like personality. Also, any fish that exhibits cool behavior even if it doesn't acknowledge the owner.

Thanks for any info!

:dance:

I've always been a big fan of my starry blenny. He will always come up to the front of the glass, sits up on the top of my rock work like he is a king, and is friendly enough that he will eat out of my hand. He can also change colors like a chameleon. A great fish that I highly recommend.

In my opinion a lot of salt water fish have personality go check out a local store and see what one catches your eye. Also check to see how big they will get so they won't outgrow it too fast.

I've always been a big fan of my starry blenny. He will always come up to the front of the glass, sits up on the top of my rock work like he is a king, and is friendly enough that he will eat out of my hand. He can also change colors like a chameleon. A great fish that I highly recommend.

Oooh a starry blenny, I'll definitely check that out. :fish1:

Flame Hawk would be a good addition to a 40 gal, they have a lot of personality, They will sit perched on a rock and watch Everything with their big ol' eyes

I second the Blenny suggestion. Only word to describe them is "cheeky". Starry and Lawnmower blennies, however, are not exactly conspicuous. Bicolor and Tailspot are more colorful.

Dwarf angels also get to recognize their owner - or rather the person who feeds - and are constantly active.

No fish though can compare personality-wise to my cleaner shrimp. As soon as I go near the tank - he's out and begging for food. As soon as my hand is in the tank - he tries to clean it.

Last edited:
If you want a species only tank... The Green Spotted Puffers have great personalities. They need a minimum of 30 gallons.

Flamehawk?

Flamehawk?

Flame Hawk would be a good addition to a 40 gal, they have a lot of personality, They will sit perched on a rock and watch Everything with their big ol' eyes

The flame hawk are really cool fish. Can you have them with starfish and shrimp?

I like the pygmy/possum wrasses. In my opinion every fish has its own personality. Some fish have it show through more than others but you just have to watch a little be closer on those that don't. That is what makes watching the tank interesting!

Another vote for a starry blenny. Mine has a lot of personality. Right now he's cramped in my 14BC, but he came in as a hitch hiker and I'm upgrading soon. Whenever you walk in front of the tank he comes out begging for food. He gets a bit aggressive wiht the other fish, but that has more to do with the tight quarters. We named him Benny, my wife calls him Benny Castro because she says he's a communist and wants to run the tank, LOL. Definitely a fun fish to watch. Looks cool when he perches vertically on rocks. Very Batman-esque :)

+1 on Starry Blenny

These fish move around the tank like and between LR no other. We call ours the "house" fish. He goes where ever he wants without being aggressive.

Blenny, blenny, and more blenny!
My first lawnmower blenny would come and sit in my hand while I feed him nori sheets. Then he would "kiss" the sheets and then kiss my hand. He was really sweet but then died a couple of years later. I had just purchased another baby one recently and he has a very similar personality to the first. Would swim up to the glass and beg for food and eat off a fork! I also have a starry blenny in my 225 and he is adorable too, but less personable because of all the activity in the larger tank with the larger fish. I have a orange spotted blenny in by 55 and he is too cute too, always watching you and following you from one end of the tank to the other. I have a bi-colour blenny in my 28 and he is fun too. The cuttest was when I had my flame hawk in there and he would buddy hug the bi-colour blenny while they both sit there looking at me. Flame hawks are very puppy like too, he used to sit and flipper wave at me to get food, but now he is in the 225...there is just too much fishie interaction in there for him to pay too much personal attention to me. They are both very easy and interesting fish in my experience!
Another thought is the goby family. Pink spotted and yellow gobies are neat too!

Last edited:
Back