Flame angel nipping at SPS

evolutionZ

Hey fellas, i caught my flame angel nipping at my sps weeks ago but it was just a nip one time and go thingy so i wasn't bothered by it, SPS looks undamaged as the angel does not nip at one particular coral constantly.. recently i see it nipping more and more often. But again, it does not nip at any one sps constantly.. just nip and go to the next sps and nip one time again.

is this something i should worry about?

If its a small frag or colony it may be a problem. My flame also nips but since I have many sps colonies its not enough to cause any damage. Oh and usually I see it happening when I neglect my feeding schedule.

i have probably close to 10 small colonies and over 20 frags in a 48x24x14".. it goes around nipping multiple frags.. so far no damage done.

Come to think of it. i also see more nipping whenever i missed my feeding schedule.

i HAD two pygmys in my tank forever, this summer i slacked with the feeding.. both developed a taste for coral, they picked all the time, no noticeable damage but polyp extension was down, even after increasing feedings they were still doing it so i ditched them, no more risking pygmys in my tanks personally, fish are too hard to catch.

It's a shame that all the fish I want to add to my tank are prone to nip at SPS. As others have said before, larger colonies aren't as stressed from the picking, and some have even reported better growth rates and new budding where they've been nipped. Unfortunately, I've got a long way to go before an angel's tendencies won't bother my SPS too much.

Back