Flame Hawkfish - Reef Safe?

Vapour1ze

I'm an Addict.
Who has one? I've never owned one in my 8 years in the hobby... Are they pretty reef safe?

I saw one the other day and just thought it was the coolest fish! :) Now I'm set on getting one!

Might take out shrimp, etc. but should not harm corals unless it decides to lounge on them all day long.

I have a bonded flame hawk fish pair I got from DD and they don't bother anything. I have 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 fire shrimp they don't bother but they have been in the tank for a few years now and are actually larger than the hawk fish.

I have a bonded flame hawk fish pair I got from DD and they don't bother anything. I have 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 fire shrimp they don't bother but they have been in the tank for a few years now and are actually larger than the hawk fish.

Good to know, I wonder if I introduce them at the same time.... (Since I did want to get one of each)

Cleaner shrimp and coral banded shrimp should be ok but smaller shrimp like Sexy shrimp, Harlequin shrimp and peppermints that can't hide well during the day well, they are what's for dinner.

No issues with my flame hawks and I've got a couple cleaner shrimp, 2 coral bandits and one fire shrimp. Just don't put a shrimp the tank that is smaller than the hawk and you should be fine. My hawk eats pellets, frozen mysis and other frozen food.

my 2 longnose hawkfish lived with a cleaner shrimp for a couple of months before they made a buffet out of him i think flame hawks are even more prone to go after them sooner or later.

My Flamehawk Fish is a model citizen in my reef tank, and my Cleaner Shrimp is doing fine with him.

They are one of my favorite fish, and had to have one. He doesn't mess with the clean up crew, emerald crab, shrimp.....nothing at all.

I have had my flame hawk for 15 years, and a coral banded shrimp with him in a 30g for the last 8 of those years until a recent tank upgrade so they both are in a 75g. No problems between them.

That said, I gave up on hermits in my CUC a very long time ago. There would always be a slow attrition. I think the hawk watched and waited and caught them when they molted. Emerald crabs have not had a problem (I don't think they look very tasty).

The CBS was bigger than the hawk when I got him and I don't think I tried any smaller shrimp with the hawk.

No problems with corals. Some will briefly retract from being perched on, but certainly no lasting harm.

I love my hawk for both the vibrant color and his personality.

Note they are jumpers, although you wouldn't think it. I had an earlier one that went carpet surfing after about 8 months...

Last edited:
I have one in with a sexy shrimp, cleaner shrimp, purple lobster, coral banded, Pom Pom crabs, emerald crabs, anemone crabs and blue leg hermits. No issues at all. Basically he just posts up on everything. The 5 tangs will be tearing the crap out of a sheet of nori on the clip attached to the glass and he sits on top of the clip swinging back and forth..lol

I've never had an issue with them and cleaner shrimp, but I know people who have. Maybe get a small hawk and a large cleaner shrimp, and hope for the best. :thumbsup:

I found a bright deep red flame hawk at the lfs that I couldn't pass up. He leaves my emerald crab alone, but will eat the smaller hermits. Love his personality! Def. be sure to have a covered tank, they are jumpers!

Back