Flow and LR questions for new 72 gal

Goobler

Hi all, I've been lurking for a few months but have a few questions. I just picked up a used 72 RR bowfront =) to upgrade my 20 long. The tank will be mostly softies and a few LPS corals.

First, live rock, I want to keep a more open look as my current tank hardly has any sand bed left anymore. I need to come up with about ~50lbs more on top of the 20lbs I have currently. I was going to order some marco rocks and use it to cycle the new tank. Only concern is the smell, I live in a two bedroom apt. with a roommate. Is the smell going to be too horrible the roomie will want to kill me? Would I be better off with the pre-cured stuff from liveaquaria (what I got for the last tank) or the lfs?

Next is tank flow. For a return I was going to pick up a mag 7 which should be good. I just need to figure out how much flow for the powerheads. what gph should I aim for? mabey give some suggestions? I was thinking 2 koralia 2's.

thanks a bunch

If you have a LFS with a decent live rock selection, I'd go that route. Not only will you not have to deal with the smell, but you can select exactly the pieces that you want. You most likely will pay a little more however.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12274402#post12274402 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joy solomon
If you have a LFS with a decent live rock selection, I'd go that route. Not only will you not have to deal with the smell, but you can select exactly the pieces that you want. You most likely will pay a little more however.

What he said.. It's an easier way to guarantee less die off (although if they just got it in it may have some left to go.) I bought mine off of some guy on ebay and it wasn't too bad.

As for the koralia 2s I would go with the koralia 3 if not the 4. They shoot out the flow in a wide angle so it ends up feeling like less flow over more area.

I would look for live rock through your local areas club on Reed Central first. If that fails I would try a local fish store.

As for the pumps I would go with mag 9 and koralia 3 or 4 the 2 is not strong enough for a tank that size. My son has the same tank as you and is running a mag 12 with 2 koralia 4s and some Maxi jets.

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to take a second look at the plumbing. I'm still in small tank mode as far as flow goes. With the head loss I think the 7 may be a bit too weak now.

Just saw a craigslist ad for $2 lb live rock =)

Back