Flow for a Shallow Tank

JeffyT

Hi Reefers,

I am currently 9 months in my build for my 20g L JBJ Frag Tank turn Shallow Reef.

I currently have a an Mp10 and a Jaebo RW-4 facing each other in the tank to create some "turbulence" or chaotic flow.

However I am starting to see a very thin layer of what i believe to be cyano. Its red and almost has a slimy look to it.

Do I have enough flow in the tank? I use my torch coral which is on the sand bed to gauge the flow strength. But turning it up any higher makes it seem like its too much for the coral and anemone. Like the current is too strong and the corals only blow one way.

If you have the RW-4 facing the MP10, and have the flow high enough, you should be able to variably control the MP10 with it's programming to have a program that will push more or less, and when the RW-4 catches up, or gets over powered, it should create random(ish) fluctuations that are enough turbulence.

I've seen some amazing SPS tanks with TONS of flow, still having cyano issues. I'd first fight it with lowering nutrients, siphoning it out, then adding bacteria supplementations (I'm using Microbacter7, and have used Prodibio as well).

You probably have enough flow, and if not, you should be able to get it with the equipment you currently have. Maybe try the MP10 on reef-crest mode and at a higher setting?

If you have the RW-4 facing the MP10, and have the flow high enough, you should be able to variably control the MP10 with it's programming to have a program that will push more or less, and when the RW-4 catches up, or gets over powered, it should create random(ish) fluctuations that are enough turbulence.

I've seen some amazing SPS tanks with TONS of flow, still having cyano issues. I'd first fight it with lowering nutrients, siphoning it out, then adding bacteria supplementations (I'm using Microbacter7, and have used Prodibio as well).

You probably have enough flow, and if not, you should be able to get it with the equipment you currently have. Maybe try the MP10 on reef-crest mode and at a higher setting?

thank you so much for the input, im definitely going to try the Microbacter7.
I was taking into consideration adding more nitrifying bacteria. I originally started with a bottle of Dr. Tim's which I used for cycling. Since my complete 8 week cycle, along with a Remora S and AquaClear 70 for filtration I didn't have to do a single water change until now when I started noticing my snails dying off. I have very little livestock and feed only once a day a few pellets for my clowns.

I just added a little ball of cheato in a breeder box in my display as well as a small amount of Dragon's Breath. Hopefully the introductions of macros will assist with the excess nutrients.

I basically just went 9 months with my equipment, then swapped the position of the powerheads to face each other instead of alternating. So instead of a counterclockwise flow I was getting, I am now getting a sway motion.

I also upgraded the lights from t5 to an AquaMaxx Nemo Light which is probably why I am starting to see a bit of cyano.

I have two jebao pp4's running at random. There is so much flow in here, it is like a hurricane storm. I had Cyano loving the flow.

I just kept doing weekly water changes knowing my tank was new, and turkey basting it away before changing the water. The flow would send it to the overflow and I'd just change the filter sock.

Back