Flow, nems, filtration

hrdneglcry

Premium Member
So I recently came across a thread online about too much filtration. I had a grouper and some triggers in a 120 and extra filtration is recommended. So I had two Aquaclear 110's and a protein skimmer in refugium. The grouper died and two of the four triggers were moved to another tank. So after awhile the skimmer quit skimming. I think it musta have been the two Aquaclear 110s. Also my sinularia started to close. I read it likes dirtier water. Anwyay I'd like my skimmer to work again so I put one of the 110's into my 90 and took the canister filter off of that tank. But the anemone in that tank is not happy.

If you're talking about the recent thread on R2R, it's talking about forms of filtration, or exports in excess of imports, that lead to bottomed out nitrate/phosphate (and that can lead to nightmare dinoflagellates). That scenario is not likely with canister and HOB filters unless you are a maniac with maintenance. Do you know your nitrate/phosphate values?

I don't. I donuse extra filtration because I keep Triggerfish and they are messy for the types of meats I feed them. I had a Grouper too which was the original need for the large filters.

Back