Flow

SheilaF

I have a 53g reef (with a sump). It is 36"L 20"W and 17"tall. I currently have a mag7 return pump and a koralia 3 powerhead. Is this enough flow for my tank or should I add more? And if I should add more, how much?

I'm really only interested in softies and lps corals and right now I have: hammer, bubble, frogspawn, gsp, zoas and a few mushrooms. Only the gsp seems to appreciate the higher flow areas.

Thanks.

You need about a 15x turnover so that is 795 gph so what you have is fine but if you plan on trying sps then you need about 20-40 so that will be 1060-2120

At this point I don't plan on any sps. I really like the look of the lps and softies so if I don't need anymore flow than I have that's great!

Does everyone agree about the flow? Anyone have a second opinion? I'd rather not add a second powerhead if I don't have too. Most of my corals would prefer not to be blown around I think.

Actually I think about 20x is min, and prefer about 30x-40x for softie/mixed, and higher for sps.
If you could do random that would be best.
5x for return, and the rest from PH or loop, and bounce off glass so your not just blasting corals.

Back