Flowchart style identification system for mantis shrimp

calebkraft

I’m trying to build a flowchart style identification system for stomapods. Obviously it won’t be as capable as a knowledgeable individual, but it could help narrow things down a bit.

I’m not even entirely sure this is possible due to the high amount of variations available for identification, but it could be a fun attempt to put something together. I welcome any input any of you may have.

You can view the prototype here.

note: the submit button does nothing currently, don't bother.

Last edited:
thanks! I think I'll need a smarter way of identifying them though.

Also, I just discovered I can't embed images in this system which I find quite annoying

How about this. Instead of a flow chart, just break it down into the common things used for identification and have drop down list boxes for them.

Categories such as: Size, Meral Spot Color, Body color, Raptorial appendage type, region it came from.

Then have it so you can search by any one or two or three items and it will narrow it down. Say, the only thing you know is it's got a purple meral spot, so you search for that and it give you only the ones with purple meral spots and you can look at those. It saves new folks from having to click on every single species on Roy's list to narrow it down.

Then on the final page for the individual species, you can show all of the specific things that the mantis needs to be that species with pictures, diagrams, links, etc.

I think that would be hugely helpful.

I like this idea. I've been trying to come up with what those determining factors are. Size is a difficult one since they could be immature.

There's the following immediately identifiable features:
  • raptoral appendage style
  • meral spot color
  • eye lobing

Then there's the less obvious things, like:
  • abdominal segment color variations
  • eye coloring variations
  • telsion shape/texture differences
  • carapice color variations
  • antennal scale variations

With the less obvious, I suspect I'll end up with a long list of just checkboxes. It won't be an either/or scenario but rather a "does your creature exibit any of the following features on its telsion?".

Then there's the less obvious things, like:
  • abdominal segment color variations
  • eye coloring variations
  • telsion shape/texture differences
  • carapice color variations
  • antennal scale variations

With the less obvious, I suspect I'll end up with a long list of just checkboxes. It won't be an either/or scenario but rather a "does your creature exibit any of the following features on its telsion?".

You may not even need to get that detailed. I think as long as you can quickly narrow it down to three or less choices, and then take them to pages showing the species and detailing the specifics, with pictures and descriptions.

Keep it as simple as possible. The main thing is not having to search through a list of 40 stomatopods by their latin names when you don't know the difference between an Acanthosquilla derijardi and a Tetrasquilla mccullochae, or that your chances of finding them in your tank or at the LFS are pretty slim.

Last edited:
I'd work with these 3 variables alone.

- Telson
- Dactyl
- Meral Spot

These would be the most unique areas upon all species, you cannot use color the stomatopods are to polymorphic it is going to have to be based off shape for 2 of the 3 only color goes with the meral spot I.D.

thanks for the input guys! This is really helpful.

Here's another question, what are the most common species to find in an aquarium or LFS?

It seems like the names I read most often are:
Odontodactylus scyllarus (often incorrectly labelled)
Gonodactylaceus ternatensis
Neogonodactylus wennerae

so what others are the most common?

To add to your list:

N. wennerae
G. chiragra
G. viridis
O. havanensis
N. oerstedii
P. ciliata

Those are the ones I regularly have seen available or common hitchhikers.

I'd leave G.ternatensis out of the whole thing I'm already telling others mine are G.graphurus not to be cruel/lie but to take pressure off the ternatensis habitat.

I'd leave G.ternatensis out of the whole thing I'm already telling others mine are G.graphurus not to be cruel/lie but to take pressure off the ternatensis habitat.

I sorta agree and sorta not.

I think putting G. ternatensis is one of the most vital species to put on this list.. I think we're all aware that everytime any lfs gets one they assume O. scyllarus and customers buy them and continue the income not knowing what a true O. scyllarus really looks like. This may help end that if word gets around.

I say.. put G. ternatensis on there.. make a really noticable notifaction at the top in red print or something like that reguarding the collecting issues, and provide absolutely no to very little info on it's care, origin, etc etc..

There's no reason to sweep the fact that G. Ternatensis exist in this world, and this is the perfect opportunity to educate people about the collection practices in big bold red letters... or whatever. Pretending they don't exist will perpetuate people intentionally buying them at the LFS without ever knowing about the collection practices. Some may still buy them knowing coral was likely destroyed in the process, but the world is full of rotten people. Most folks will choose the right path when properly informed.

Also when people do end up owning one for whatever reason I don't see a point in refusing to tell them how to take care of it. My ternatensis was originally a tiny hitchiker on a live rock shipment and was sold to me as a peacock. I think there are certain situations where owning a G. ternatensis doesn't promote the destruction of coral.

Also when people do end up owning one for whatever reason I don't see a point in refusing to tell them how to take care of it. My ternatensis was originally a tiny hitchiker on a live rock shipment and was sold to me as a peacock. I think there are certain situations where owning a G. ternatensis doesn't promote the destruction of coral.

True,

But when people get to see how beautiful they are.. and see their level of care, requirements, etc. it might suit their needs for a mantis and they'll be looking for it..

Everytime I see a photo of one I begin looking around to see if any are instock.. I'll admit it and I'm hardcore with telling everyone not to get them in stock.. it's just like your favorite snack in the vending machine, you have the dollar bill to buy it.. but you can't buy it because it's not healthy.. the urge to get it makes you look for it..

Same case with G. tern.. you see it.. you know everything about it.. you want it so bad, have the full ability to order or purchase one right this minute.. but it has that downside during the collection process.. next thing you know lfs gets one in, you buy it, and they replace it getting more in.. even if the lfs is unaware their suppliers will still be looking for more.

The less you know... the better..

Be nice if there was a private messaging thing where inorder to learn about their requirements/care you'd have to email or message someone to prevent too much outsider or public access.

In a hitchhiker's case it's totally fine but sadly providing info for hitchhiking specimens would only cause traffic for those to purposely find them.. whether it was living in a coral or rubble we don't know but according to Dr. caldwell it's not difficult for them to just smash a coral and grab it... either way the few who are living in corals being collected is still just one more coral destroyed in the reefs.

The ONLY reason why I'm agreeing it should be mentioned on this chart period is because we still see them as hitchhikers and Ids would still be needed.. not to mention this may help lighten the O.scyllarus=G.ternatensis theories lfs and online stores may have, especially liveaquaria who sells them left and right.. maybe they'll even realize the difference in collection and change.

Back