Flter Sock over return pump intake okay?

waif

Hi.
I've been battling a microbubble problem. I've tried all the usuall things but I cannot put filter sock over my returns. They are 2 inch returns, two of them. It was a bad design flaw on my part...i am looking at changing it but unsure of as of yet. But i was wondering can you put a filter sock over the intake for the return pump? I would obviously change it like every two days or so (but enough for a week or so at a time, cleaing others while replacing etc..) Would this be enough to stop the bubbles? I have an intake screen screwed over into the bulkhead for the return. I am just hoping microbubbles are not something i just have to live with.

Thanks everyone for looking.

How would you prevent it from being sucked into the pump? Also pumps should not be restricted on the intake side, since this could cause it to overheat. I believe that you would restrict it when detritus builds up on the sock.

So I wouldn't do it.

Yeah kinda what i was thinking...it wouldn't get sucked in because of the strainer screwed into the bulkhea for the intake. But i don't know if i even would want to change filter socks that often. Think a redesign of my drain pipes are in order.

Thanks for the reply btw :)

yeah waif i do agree with herzberg on this one also just think of potential flood damage, cant think of another possible solution as yet but will try to come up with something, wish you luck

I have a fluval 305 and it has a built in plunger that helps get rid of bubbles.

If you DO have a Fluval perhaps working the plunger will do it some good.

sorry to sound rude inachu but you are miles off the point, waif is talking about returns from the sump not canister filters

i just use some poly batting, you can find it almost anywhere, sold in the craft area, used to put in quilts normally, i just cut out a big square and fold the corners up around the drain in the sump and tie it in place with a cable tie, it's cheap enough you can just take it off and throw it away once a week or so and cut out a new one....have used the same method on my skimmer drain into the sump, completely takes care of the bubbles unless you have the drain draining into the same chamber as the return pump....then you have to change your setup

dont put anything on the return pump intake, thats asking for it

I used one on mine for a while. I had a long piece of perferated pipe that I put into my bulkhead and placed the bag over it. It was a little shorter then the bag to keep it from collapsing. It worked out great but with my set up changing it was a pain so I built a de-bubbler and got rid of the sock.

NO.
Never restrict the intake of a pump, this will cause worse problems than before due to cavitation.

What is your pump and how is it plumbed? Kind of sounds like you have greater surface area in the returns than you do in the suction or intake side. How big is the suction screen you have now? You always want to make sure you do not restrict things with too small surface openings, sometimes multiple strainers on a tee are required so as to not restrict flows.

Do you have a ball valve on the return side? Have you tried adding head to the returns by pinching this valve down?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12210841#post12210841 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
NO.
Never restrict the intake of a pump, this will cause worse problems than before due to cavitation.

What is your pump and how is it plumbed? Kind of sounds like you have greater surface area in the returns than you do in the suction or intake side. Ho big is the suction screen you have now? You always want to make sure you do not restrict things with too small surface openings, sometimes multiple strainers on a tee are required so as to not restrict flows.

Do you have a ball valve on the return side? Have you tried adding head to the returns by pinching this valve down?

actually thinking back - this is sage advice, the cavatation potential is very valid and I would not recommend it now. I guess I didn't have my coffee yet when I made the other post.

I use a foam pre filter with a media bag on top, over the pump screen. the foam pre filter's inside diameter is twice the size of the pump screen. so it's a really loose fit , but it stays on from suction. this keeps big pieces of debris and most of the bubbles out of the display. I clean it every 3 days and there's a ton of gunk in it that would of got into the display. I get these pre filters and media bags from my lfs.

Back