Fluval Edge 12 Tank Reef?

Tutto

Hi guys,

I took a long break, and am looking to get back into the hobby. I am looking to keep it a smaller scale project.

I found a pretty good deal for a 12 Fluval Edge tank, Does anyone have experience using these?

Couple Questions:

Is it possible to make a small reef with this style tank? It looks very enclosed.

Fish? Obviously, would be small fish and very few.

Any recommendations or tips on this?

Thanks for the help!

I have no experience with such a small tank. But you might look at the Nano setups. It will need more husbandry than larger tanks from my understanding.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I used to have a fluval edge 12g reef before. It was a interesting tank to keep, however cleaning the glass and any kind of maintenance was a real pain lol! Needless to say, I shut it down after a couple years.
Aquascaping it was kind of a pain as the rocks had to be able to fit in a 4x6” hole I believe.
Fish wise, I had a couple of bluestripe pipefish in there. I actually converted it to run on a tiny sump.

I used to have a fluval edge 12g reef before. It was a interesting tank to keep, however cleaning the glass and any kind of maintenance was a real pain lol! Needless to say, I shut it down after a couple years.
Aquascaping it was kind of a pain as the rocks had to be able to fit in a 4x6" hole I believe.
Fish wise, I had a couple of bluestripe pipefish in there. I actually converted it to run on a tiny sump.

Ahh yeah thats what I was worried about lol. I actually may be leaning towards a Rimless build. I found a solid deal on a 17g ADA 60P rimless. Any experience doing a similiar size sumpless?

Ahh yeah thats what I was worried about lol. I actually may be leaning towards a Rimless build. I found a solid deal on a 17g ADA 60P rimless. Any experience doing a similiar size sumpless?

That's a nice tank! It'll be easier to maintain then the edge. A sump really isn't necessary for any tank. It just increases your margin for error and your stability. It kinda just depends on how religious about your testing, your monitoring, and how much effort you want to put in. That being said, a 17g isn't too small of a tank either as a quick swing through the nano forums will show. What kind of corals and fish did you want to raise?

That's a nice tank! It'll be easier to maintain then the edge. A sump really isn't necessary for any tank. It just increases your margin for error and your stability. It kinda just depends on how religious about your testing, your monitoring, and how much effort you want to put in. That being said, a 17g isn't too small of a tank either as a quick swing through the nano forums will show. What kind of corals and fish did you want to raise?

I would probably get a clown pair as I usually do. Maybe a goby and a pistol shrimp pair.

As far as corals, I would stick with soft ones to start. Have any recommendations for LED lighting that is budget friendly?

I would probably get a clown pair as I usually do. Maybe a goby and a pistol shrimp pair.

As far as corals, I would stick with soft ones to start. Have any recommendations for LED lighting that is budget friendly?

Personally, I use AI primes on my nanos but that doesn't mean success can't be had with other led fixtures. There are tons of options nowadays, especially for a tank that size.

I'm running an edge 6 gallon nano. Pro of the tank is the evap rate is very slow and having a top down view is nice. Everything else sucks. Placing coral moving anything and cleaning the glass is so difficult. Most of the time when you place something in the tank or move something you damage something else around it. My suggestion would be to remove the top panel of glass.

Back