Fluval G Series Filtration

spanishnative

Has anybody used or have experience with the new Fluval G series canister filtration system. If so, would this be a good replacement for a sump filtration system that I currently use. All suggestions and comments would be great.
Thanks!

I'd like to hear how well these filters work for the long haul since they are pretty pricey. But I do like all the different chambers that you can put media in. I'd really like to hear a review on these also. I don't think it could effectively replace a sump though, since a sump provides chaeto, copepod breeding grounds, easy water changes, etc... Our LFS seems to think these units are a direct replacement for all of the equipment on a high end reef system... but then again they are selling them

Nothing can replace a sump...In fact, a reef tank with the right equipment shouldn't need a canister at all. This doesn't mean they aren't a good piece of filtration. In fact, they are excellent for running carbon, polishing water etc etc. Unnecessary none-the-less IMO, however.

Forget the hype and price Go Eheim you won"t be sorry I have six different canisters on several different tanks running 20 yrs w/o a problem huge reliabilty, great media space and Quiet just use them for chemical filtration and change on regular basis I do monthly changes on my marine tanks longer on fresh.

Have you looked at one close up, they blow Ehiem away,
they aren't that much more, the big one can be had for 425.

+1 on the Eheim! All my freshwater tank uses Eheim canister filter from the 2222 to 2026 model.

Have you looked at one close up, they blow Ehiem away,

Blow Eheim away with what? Bells and whistles?

I'd rather see reliability and service out of a canister filter than how high tech they can make something that does not really need to be. Lets give the Fluval G a few months and see how they hold up and peoples reaction to them. For a similar price to the largest fluval g, $500, you can get the largest Eheim 2262. 900 GPH of flow and almost 5 gallons of media.

Like I said Eheim all the way ,want to pay 35 dollars at a time just to replace cartridges its your call. Love the aquaclear hang on filters but for canisters I trust Eheim, there is a reason they been doing it for 40 yrs or more and most people have only praise for them.

Ive been running a fluval g6 it cleans the water exceptionally. I do have a microbubble issue on occasion I am not sure if I have a bad gasket or what. With 1.4 lbs of LR/gallon a couple Koralia 4 and this my levels have all been spot on. It's actually not very expensive to run at all once its set up. G nodes need to be replaced 1 tray at a time every 6 months and the monthly carbon changes ive been doing are just refills with hagen (or other) carbon.

I've had my G3 running now for two weeks. Filter is super quite and does a great job. Also if you shop around you can find them cheaper.

IMO and many others, canister filters are a poor choice for marine tanks, they trap and harbor detritus and concequently need to be cleaned every 2-3 weeks to run effectively. This is especially an issue when you have these G series Fluvals that are only pushing 300gph. You can't add on a skimmer to them, and they don't provide much oxygenation at all. No where near what a wet/dry filter can produce.

Fluval has never marketed toward marine enthusiasts, the have been exclusively freshwater for years. These only thing these filters have are a digital temp probe and conductivity meter, so what? Conductivity essentially useless, conventionally used to measure the amount of organic build up in the system, in a marine environment it's so bombarded with inorganics that it's hardly useful for anything, except a relative measurement of your salinity.

Second the firmware on the thing is not upgradable, doesn't sync to computer or ethernet connection. Finally the reminders you can set on them have to be done so manually through an interface menu that is a real pain in the ***.

Pros:

They seem to be well built with nice hardware, and changing cartriges is really easy.

Not worth it IMO. We have a Hagen rep at the LFS that I work at, and I like to bust his balls. Being an industry rep I expect alot more out of them as far as product knowledge, and competitor knowledge goes.

The G series look prettier than any eheim I've ever seen (just my personal opinion, but then again eheim's quality is legendary), and they have a certain "wow" factor right now. I've used a fluval 204 for 6 years - zero problems - and I run carbon, GFO, purigen, poly filter, etc. in there and have a uv plumbed in the return. Works beautifully in conjunction with my fuge/skimmer sump. So, if the quality is as good as it has been, should be a winner. Moreover, it looks like they sell a dedicated phosphate remover cartridge. Good luck whatever you decide.

The reason I went with Fluval is just like SpencerG stated "I've used a fluval 204 for 6 years - zero problems".....
I've heard this from way to many people. I've had nothing but issues with Eheim and Marineland filter products in the past. Plus with the G-series I can clean mechanical filter in 2 mins, change chemical filter out in 3 mins, and while doing that I don't have to touch the biological section. Which gives me alot more time to kick back the enjoy my reef....

Moreover, it looks like they sell a dedicated phosphate remover cartridge.

It's an aluminum silicate medium, must be removed after 48 hours of use. Otherwise it will leach PO4 back into the system. Just FYI.

Yeah, on the level of principal arguments, canister filters have always been considered as less than ideal, at least as a source of primary filtration. Undoubtedly they work great for some folks, and I have to second that Ehiem has legendary quality and design. All I protest is that the Fluval G series are NOT worth the price, your much better off putting that money in a good skimmer if you don't already have a great one.

Just purchased a Fluval G-6 for my 90gal reef tank. I already have a sump system but decided to give this filter a shot. The results were FANTASTIC! I have never seen my water so clear and so pure, my corals expand much more than what I thought they would. I am completely impressed. Changing the media is super easy. Plus, there is a USB port on the back of the pump....Fluval included this for future software programs. All I can say is that my Fish are healthier, my Corals are doing wonderfully, and my tank is crystal clear. The health of my tank is well worth the 399.00 I paid at my LFS.

Can somebody post what they have in their chambers? I am going to use this for my 10 gallon and judging the remarks from all the forums , I think this will really make my 10 gallon shine.

I will have the G3 running (just need some recommendations on what to put)

I have the tank 10lbs live rock, 10lbs live sand, reef-glass protein skimmer.

I was thinking to run in the chambers such things as ..

Chemipure
MarinePure Ceramin Biospheres
Phosban

I don't have intentions on putting any sponges or filterfloss just because of possible nitrate factories. But if I did, I could just swap and put those overnight before a water change the next day so it doesn't stay in there.

This tank is at my office so I want to keep it as clean as possible and easiest to maintain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Back