Fluval Spec Nano Reef Running UltraBrite LEDs Journal

clowin65

Over the past few years I have started and successfully executed three Fluval edge Nano reef tanks. A few weeks ago I received an amazing cash offer for all three tanks, it had to be all or none. The offer was more than worth it to start a new journey.

Last night I ordered the UltraBrite Reef Led system for the Fluval Spec from ebay and picked up a Fluval Spec V from my LFS and started my cycle.

First few things I noticed that I don't like.
Not very good water flow
Cheap useless Fluval LEDs
Cheap tank cover
Everything else I love, beautiful tank in every way. Love the look!

I have loved the fluvsl spec since day one as I did the Fluval edge. With the 3 reef fluval edge tanks gone I can start over with the open top tank. To my surprise I picked an amazing time because I ran into a few upgrades other than the UltraBrite LEDs that made this project a must.

I will outline each step with pictures and try to share this journey with this site, this is my first thread so please let me know if I do anything only a newcomer would do. I hope you guys stay tuned, because what I was Informed of last night was out of Avatar:crazy1:. Im very excited for this a new adventure and the beautiful nano reef tank I hope to create. Also I'm open to any type of helpful info from other spec owners.

Attachments

• 20150131_012948.jpg
    20150131_012948.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
Fluval Spec Nano Reef Running UltraBrite LEDs Journal-Nano Care process

Fluval Spec Nano Reef Running UltraBrite LEDs Journal-Nano Care process

To start I purchased 10lb of live sand and 5g of salt from my LFS.
Enough live rock rubble to fill the back column of the filter and took out all stock media. For my Aquascape im going to start with 1 8inch floating island(Avatar Style) about a 2lb piece. Im really excited for this thing to arrive!!!!! I say a demo pic and it was insain

I plan to do 2g water changes every 3-4 days for the first month. Then slow it down. This has worked well for me in the past and allows me to stock the tank fast. With a fairly easy cycle process. I won't add any fish for the first month. Going to add my clean up crew within a few days. Then corals, will start with soft, then LPs, and last Sps. Only if I can contain myself.

Throughout the process of this tank I will not be adding any additives and only relying on water change to replenish need elements. Freshwater from my LFS to replace evaporated saltwater. I'm using a 50 Watt heater that also fits in the back column. First few weeks I like to run my light for 5-6hrs, then
8-10hrs.

I like to run my nano tank as easy and lowtech as possible. Clearly you need Leds that can provide the needed output for proper coral health and enough water flow. Many will disagree with my process and I understand, as I really have my own method and it works for me, so why change it. If I had to do all the things required for a large tank with a Nano I would just get a large tank. I like Nano and pico setups because after 2-3 months it just a matter of water change to keep it gou g strong. My first nano was the edge which I got after my Mo eye out of a 50g was gone. More than the Money is was the amount of time and attention it needed. My first Fluval edge turned Into 3 Fluval edges running at the same time as I was able to fill them with all the corals I kept fragging.

The best tank is an easy tank, and the best life has a hard and difficult start in my book.

Hi! I'm more or less a begginer :D. I hope we could share that journey, I just got my tank set up too and I'm getting lots of things coming up. if you want better light I used a e27 LED light which costed 20 odd pounds (if I can remember) for not just the light, but the holder too!

Last edited:
Awesome!! Just set up my spec 5 a few days ago...I'm subscribing to this thread....And me being a saltwater noob I have a question lol....Are you going to use a powerhead/pump/wavemaker? If so which one? I started a thread asking between the koralia 240, jebao wp10 or the jebao rw-4

Fluval Spec Nano Reef Running UltraBrite LEDs Journal-powrhead/pump upgrade

I have a new system coming that replaces the entire pump and outlet. It provides much more movement and has a built-in wave maker. It also looks really clean and has stock look. I'll have the unit on Monday and will post pics and thoughts on delivery.

I ran one of these tanks for a while. My two biggest suggestions would be swapping out the return pump with a mini jet 606 for more flow so you don't need a powerhead. Also the intank media baskets for these are great, but not necessary. Fun tank imo.

Thanks for the suggestion on the e27 Thierry05, wanted to keep the stock look and get the UltraBrite Led System for the Spec to be sure I can provide the needed out and spectrum needed for all coral types, also love the color balance/mixture.

Brooks87, was considering the mini jet 606, although I was told they were discontinued by my LFS. The guys I got the LEDs from gave me a suggestion on the a wavemaker that sounded very interesting. I have it all set up and will post a full writeup with pics and thought asap.

Thank for all the suggestions, can't wait to get this thing on display mode!!!

Hi! I'm more or less a begginer :D. I hope we could share that journey, I just got my tank set up too and I'm getting lots of things coming up. if you want better light I used a e27 LED light which costed 20 odd pounds (if I can remember) for not just the light, but the holder too!

Thanks for the suggestion on the e27 Thierry05, wanted to keep the stock look and get the UltraBrite Led System for the Spec to be sure I can provide the needed out and spectrum needed for all coral types, also love the color balance/mixture.

I ran one of these tanks for a while. My two biggest suggestions would be swapping out the return pump with a mini jet 606 for more flow so you don't need a powerhead. Also the intank media baskets for these are great, but not necessary. Fun tank imo.

Brooks87, was considering the mini jet 606, although I was told they were discontinued by my LFS. The guys I got the LEDs from gave me a suggestion on the a wavemaker that sounded very interesting. I have it all set up and will post a full writeup with pics and thought asap.

Cool. I look forward to seeing your updates. Sounds fun.

I received both my UltraBrite FLUVAL Spec Led System today and my new pump and wave maker all in one unit.

The Fluval Spec Ultrabrite Led System is out of this world. Its fully Automated and transformed my Spec to an all out reef Nano beast. Its extremely well made and I could not be happier. The Spec looks 100x better.

I also received my all in one pump and wave maker. Couldn't have asked for anything better. It features a Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 Circulation Pump rated at 180 GPH. It replaces the stock pump and attached to a circulating wavemaker. It looks great, runs silent, and gives me the exact features that I wanted. It circulates the water at a perfect rate and really has no dead spots. Its amazing, I didn't want constant flow in any one direct. I wanted water flow in ever part of the tank and the movement of the wave maker achieves that perfectly.

Last but not least. I received my 8inch floating island made of some of the best looking dry rock I have seen. This thing has me going crazy, I have never seen anything so cool. I am so excited to get some corals in the tank and on this thing. I attached pictures of everything. Sorry the water was cloudy as I had just done a water change.

Over all I could not be happier and more excited about this new setup. I can only imagine what I can create in this tank. The guys at UltraBrite really knocked it out of the park. Let me know if the island looks better on the left or right. Also if you guys have any input on what type of corals I should dress this bad boy up with.

Attachments

• 20150203_141222.jpg
    20150203_141222.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150203_140939.jpg
    20150203_140939.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150203_140446.jpg
    20150203_140446.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20150203_140749.jpg
    20150203_140749.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
I received both my UltraBrite FLUVAL Spec Led System today and my new pump and wave maker all in one unit.

The Fluval Spec Ultrabrite Led System is out of this world. Its fully Automated and transformed my Spec to an all out reef Nano beast. Its extremely well made and I could not be happier. The Spec looks 100x better.

I also received my all in one pump and wave maker. Couldn't have asked for anything better. It features a Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 Circulation Pump rated at 180 GPH. It replaces the stock pump and attached to a circulating wavemaker. It looks great, runs silent, and gives me the exact features that I wanted. It circulates the water at a perfect rate and really has no dead spots. Its amazing, I didn't want constant flow in any one direct. I wanted water flow in ever part of the tank and the movement of the wave maker achieves that perfectly.

Last but not least. I received my 8inch floating island made of some of the best looking dry rock I have seen. This thing has me going crazy, I have never seen anything so cool. I am so excited to get some corals in the tank and on this thing. I attached pictures of everything. Sorry the water was cloudy as I had just done a water change.

Over all I could not be happier and more excited about this new setup. I can only imagine what I can create in this tank. The guys at UltraBrite really knocked it out of the park. Let me know if the island looks better on the left or right. Also if you guys have any input on what type of corals I should dress this bad boy up with.

Sweet!!! I was looking to upgrade the pump it came with so I won't need a separate power head. Question...you used the original tube? Also did the pump come with that Elbow attachment?

Sweet!!! I was looking to upgrade the pump it came with so I won't need a separate power head. Question...you used the original tube? Also did the pump come with that Elbow attachment?

This unit uses two of the L-shaped connectors that the Spec comes with. The same piece that connects to your original tube and is the return into the tank. One is used on the Hydro to the tube and then one on the other end of the tube connected to the wavemaker. Hit up sales at UltraBrite and they may be able to sell you an entire setup. I had the Hydro from my last set up, so they just sent me the connectors. But hit them up
edgeultrabrite@gmail.com

This unit uses two of the L-shaped connectors that the Spec comes with. The same piece that connects to your original tube and is the return into the tank. One is used on the Hydro to the tube and then one on the other end of the tube connected to the wavemaker. Hit up sales at UltraBrite and they may be able to sell you an entire setup. I had the Hydro from my last set up, so they just sent me the connectors. But hit them up
edgeultrabrite@gmail.com

Thanks...Do they have a website?

Thanks...Do they have a website?

No problem! I found them on eBay. Another option would be to get the mini jet 606 brooks87 has mentioned then find out which wave maker they are using on the return. This would eliminate the need to get the connector for the hydro. I just don't know if the mini jet 606 has enough power the turn the wavemaker. You may want to ask them when you email them. They are very helpful and I'm sure they will lead you in the right direction

No problem! I found them on eBay. Another option would be to get the mini jet 606 brooks87 has mentioned then find out which wave maker they are using on the return. This would eliminate the need to get the connector for the hydro. I just don't know if the mini jet 606 has enough power the turn the wavemaker. You may want to ask them when you email them. They are very helpful and I'm sure they will lead you in the right direction

They are willing to send me the connectors and let myself do the modifications or I can purchase the pump on my own and send it to them and they will do the mods for me. They were very fast in responding to my email. Thanks again! I'm glad you're here. Looks like my search is done, no power head in my tank and get to keep the set up clean. Now I'm just debating on whether to get the current marine usa led or ultrabrites modded spec 5 light fixture lol.

They are willing to send me the connectors and let myself do the modifications or I can purchase the pump on my own and send it to them and they will do the mods for me. They were very fast in responding to my email. Thanks again! I'm glad you're here. Looks like my search is done, no power head in my tank and get to keep the set up clean. Now I'm just debating on whether to get the current marine usa led or ultrabrites modded spec 5 light fixture lol.

That's good to hear. I have to recommend the UltraBrite System as I have used their fluval edge system as well and was very happy with my purchase and their service. If you are trying to keep the stock look and grow any type of coral its a must. If you do make sure to ask about their Automated System, its bad ***!!!! Ask them for a package deal, I'm sure you can get a great deal from them. Just make sure to get it direct from them if you do, my LFS wanted double their price for the same UltraBrite System. I just ordered another floating Island from them. I have a crazy vision in mind for my Fluval Spec. I can't wait till the tank is stocked!!

I have the same setup at my office, still building it. I will have the marine orbits in on Tuesday. Glad I found this thread. I was trying to order the marineland Minijet 606 but just found out today that it has been discontinued. Been looking all day for a good replacment for it.

I have the same setup at my office, still building it. I will have the marine orbits in on Tuesday. Glad I found this thread. I was trying to order the marineland Minijet 606 but just found out today that it has been discontinued. Been looking all day for a good replacment for it.

One thing I would recommend before doing any upgrade to your pump is to remove the portion of the outlet that is in the actual tank. I'm referring to the portion that the water come out of and back into the tank, the portion that you can adjust with your hands to position the flow of water in any direction. If you just pull that portion off it creates much more water flow, and may be enough for your needs. Give it a try before doing any uogrades, just my opinion.

Clowin65 (or anyone with an answer),

Where did you get your floating island and how much stress will it be putting on the aquarium?

Thanks in advance,

Harbour

Back