FluvalSEA 13.5 EVO nearly stock - 1.5 yrs running

DensityMan

Back from the reef-less place again, kind of. This is my work showcase tank. Started this tank in March of 2021 on the first day of my new job; after a drastic change of direction in my career path.

At it's core it is a FluvalSEA EVO 13.5 with the standard filtration block in chamber 2, the FluvalSEA PS2 Mini Protein Skimmer (replaced 3 times due to pump failures) in chamber 1. The circulation pump and heater occupy chamber 3 and both have been upgraded from the recommended specs for more constant/reliable temperature regulation and more flow respectively. An old-skool deep sandbed wasn't really practical with the given space, so I tried my best to get a really well populated 2-3 inches (with bugs from as many different places as I could manage and using two varieties of pre-packaged live-sand for the base. Stock light is still growing everything in the tank pretty well, though zoanthids do not seem to retain rich colors.

Corals consists of donated frags from regular customers along the way, some frugal rescues of stressed/damaged frags, and cherry-picked favorites purchased from Petco (Bloomington Indiana Magnet Store), Tidal Gardens (online), and most recently Modern Aquatics (Indianapolis Indiana; Stellar corals there!). Personal highlights include:
- a branch of "Tracy Morgan" gorgonian (center-stage on the sand)
- a multi-branched "Grube's" gorgonian from ORA (top-right in the rocks)
- a nuclear candy cane (bottom-left on the rock base)
- some Bam-bam zoas (middle-right behind some C. prolifera)
- a recovering-from-brown-out rainbow monti (top-center behind the "E" in "GREAT").

I'm a plant-hoarder at heart, so there are also 3 varieties of Caulerpa sp., Codium sp. mounds, Gracilaria.

Fish are limited to:
- Koumansetta rainfordi "court jester" or "Rainfordi" gobies (2) - both seen pictured below zooming in the bottom-right quad
- Stonogobiops yasha "Yasha gobies" (3; two paired, one bachelor) - pair in the front-right corner of the sand, singleton under the rocks
- Elacatinus multifasciatus "green-banded gobies" (2)
- Acanthemblemaria hastingsi "cortez blenny" (1; received as a panamic barnacle blenny) - in turbo snail shell on sand bottom right quad

Because I'm me, the fish are pretty secondary to the inverts which include:
- Fire cleaner shrimp (1)
- Red-banded pistol shrimp (2; paired symbiotically, one each with the Yasha gobies)
- Pom-pom crabs; with pom-poms! (3)
- Sexy shrimp (6)
- Bumblebee shrimp (2)
- porcelain crab, white with brown spots; filter feeder (1)
- anemone crab, green-brown with teal highlights; filter feeder (1)
- Bumblebee snails (5)
- Nerite snails (3)
- Stomatella snails (many)
- Collonista snails (many)
- Asterina stars (many)
- Brittle micro stars (several)

Good to be back.

Cheers,
Scott "Densityman" Chevalier

A couple months after starting: (May 2021)

This week: (August 2022)

Very nice grow out. Tough to see if the Gracilaria is hanging in there; I like that algae.
It's still in there; top-left corner behind the rockwork and blocked from the front by "EVERY" in this image. The weekly bonsai'ing of the algae is actually part of my zen in this tank. ;)

I had dragon's breath in here grown from a speck until it occupied more than an 1/8 of the tank in full. Had to remove it once it got established and it didn't survive the transition to the tank it was given over to...

It's still in there; top-left corner behind the rockwork and blocked from the front by "EVERY" in this image. The weekly bonsai'ing of the algae is actually part of my zen in this tank. ;)

I had dragon's breath in here grown from a speck until it occupied more than an 1/8 of the tank in full. Had to remove it once it got established and it didn't survive the transition to the tank it was given over to...
Ahhh...I see it now! Blue hypnea is another favorite...but expensive.

@JohnL - Good to be back. It was too long a break for sure. Enjoying getting back into the reef keeping world and here especially. Missed this community. :)

Update image from last week. Managed to get a steal on a couple of big frags of montipora that I couldn't live without (Grape-colored shelf and the orange base with green polyps digitata); so the "absolute last pieces" have been placed now. ((LOL))

Waiting on a few clean-up crew members to show in the mail and keeping the net nearby to remove the Acanthemblemaria hastingsi "cortez blenny" as I've witnessed him proudly eat two black stomatella snails in front of me (I like the snails more than that fish). ;)

nano-reef Sept 20220.jpg

Nice! Looking forward to some closeup photos.
I've got a few from the new additions and will work on some more. This thread may actually get me into the regular posting of images and log entries again. ;)

The Great Purple Plateau... This purple monti plate is insanely colored (All images under stock Evo 14000k lighting and taken without the intent of posting; Camera: Pixel 5)
HxMPrh1.jpg

Monti Mountain across the tank from the great purple plateau
Gi10zaD.jpg

The backside of Monti Mountain
GHaXXat.jpg

The backside of the Great Grape Plateau (which I did not want to post due to the background... going to have to start photo-blocking before taking shots)
40CiaNg.jpg

Back