FMAS General Meeting November 17th, 2015

AquamanE

Please note the change in date from the 4th Tuesday of the month to the 3rd Tuesday of the month. As the 4th conflicted with the Thanksgiving week.

DATE: NOVEMBER 17TH
TIME: 7PM
PLACE: SOUTH PLANTATION HIGH SCHOOL. VISIT WWW.FMAS1955.ORG FOR DIRECTIONS.

THIS MONTHS SPEAKER: COLIN FOORD FROM CORAL MORPHOLOGIC.

CM1_zpsvcaqnwza.jpg

CM2_zpsnwti9ig3.jpg

Coral Morphologic is a scientific art endeavor comprised of marine biologist Colin Foord and musician Jared McKay. With the radially-symmetric corallimorph polyp as our muse, we explore the visionary potential of living coral reef organisms via film, multi-media, and site-specific artworks from within our coral aquaculture laboratory in Miami, Florida.

Since our inception in 2007, we have been documenting the surprising diversity of corals that have pioneered into Miami's urban waterways; opportunistically colonizing man-made infrastructure, artificial reefs, and human debris. Our marine biological survey of Miami has thus far yielded two species of soft coral undescribed by science, and a rare hybrid staghorn coral that displays exceptional resiliency for reef restoration purposes. We hypothesize that these 'urban corals' of Miami are priceless for scientific research, and that their secrets of survival here may illuminate how corals worldwide might adapt to human influences in the 21st century.

Coral Morphologic seeks to introduce corals into popular culture through metaphors that focus on the overlapping similarities between Miami's subtropical coral reefs and the City itself in an ongoing multi-year project called "˜Coral City: The Aquacultural Transformation of Miami'.

Our current objective is to develop a coral nursery along South Pointe Park in Miami Beach in partnership with the Miami Beach Senior High Scuba Club. This location presents a unique opportunity to grow, study, and transplant corals in a publicly accessible location. An underwater webcam will live-stream the tropical fish and marine life living there.

In order to help us accomplish these goals, we mentor a team of University of Miami marine biology students in the art of coral aquaculture, a field we believe to be indispensable in the 21st century to preserve global coral biodiversity.

The South Pointe Coral Nursery project is supported by an Accelerator Grant from the Miami Foundation. Tax-deductible donations can be made to support our mission through the Coral Morphologic Fund (managed by the Miami Foundation).

Additionally, Coral Morphologic has had tremendous grant and organizational support from the Knight Foundation over the past 5 years.

And Yes, we will have an awesome raffle again!!!! :dance::dance:

TOPIC: Miami's Urban/Hybrid Corals, the South Pointe Coral Nursery Project, and the Coral Gables HS Coral Lab.

O man this might be the night I join fmas just have to see what I can do about my shift..... These guys documentaries are awsome :)

I'll be there!

Please bring any used GFO. I recharge the GFO so the school can use it.

Thanks,
David Thompson
School Liaison
FMAS

Back