Folks who have hung fixtures: how to eliminate extra wire?

becact

I have hung my ATI fixture, and have some spare metal cable. I notice the cable has a nice crimp of sorts on the one end that terminates at the upper mount, but the other end of the cable is just bare. What have you all done to cut off your extra cable? Does the wire fray if you just snip it? Is there somewhere I can get one of these special crimps (I think the cable is aircraft cable; maybe a cessna maintenance shop?)

Yes, the end will fray if you snip it. I snipped mine and dipped the end in superglue, and it held fine.

Yes, the end will fray if you snip it. I snipped mine and dipped the end in superglue, and it held fine.

That's a good idea. My idea for the crimp though was in case I slip with lowering the fixture one day, the crimp on the end of the wire would catch the lower mount, so the fixture wouldn't go into the water. Has anyone tied a knot in aircraft cable?

Good question... I did something with the last hanging pendant I used, but for the life of me I can't remember what I did. Geez, I feel old!

You can get aircraft cable in Home Depo where the chain is. I don't think it can be tied in a knot as it doesn't really kink, I wouldn't trust it. You can also buy the crimps where the cable is.

You can get aircraft cable in Home Depo where the chain is. I don't think it can be tied in a knot as it doesn't really kink, I wouldn't trust it. You can also buy the crimps where the cable is.

Thanks for the tip! Is there a special crimper as well?

Back