Follow and help my 90g RR AGA build!

easye123, I see you had a clam in the tank in the early going, but it didn't seem to be in there for long. Was there not enough light from the 175's or did someting else take it out?

HEy ransom...

The clams were always as healthy as could be just didnt really want them in there any more so i sold them a LONGGGGG time ago. I might get another one sometime, but i dunno.

the 15k iwaskai bulbs i use have more PAR than most 250w bulbs... plenty of light.....(my sps grow very good too)

Thaks for the good news. I will be upgrading to a 90 RR pretty soon and was still researching lighting options. I was hoping to be able to use 175s instead of 250s to keep electrical costs down.

That it correct!

Ive had her for two years or so. Dont see them to often because they are know as a "brown tang" so people dont think there colorful. besides the vlamingi tang(dont have one just my favorite), the lavender tang is my favorite looking tang. The pink and purple and all is very beautiful. And on the face is a bunch of orange dots. Pretty coool...

lol not to many following and dont upadate much, buttt

the tank has been lookin amazing lately! sps growing and coloring up very nicely

Heres a pic before i started to do a water change with the pumps off.
004-2.jpg

I'm still tagging along :)

I too am looking at getting lights for my 90, but they are so expensive and its hard to tell which setup is best. What brand fixtures and ballasts are you using? I was thinking about getting dual 250W MHs, but your tank looks really good with just the dual 175s.

Also, how much room is there between your bulbs and your water?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13401541#post13401541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReeferGladness
I'm still tagging along :)

I too am looking at getting lights for my 90, but they are so expensive and its hard to tell which setup is best. What brand fixtures and ballasts are you using? I was thinking about getting dual 250W MHs, but your tank looks really good with just the dual 175s.

Also, how much room is there between your bulbs and your water?

Hey whats up!
I use plane ole jane spider reflectors.. Ive been wanting to upgrade to fancier reflectors but stuff is fine right now.
I use 2 of these ballasts
http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18404&cat=539&page=1

and the 15k iwasakis....

The tank looks way better with the actinic supplements... since the 15k iwasakis actually run like 10k's.

The bulbs arou about 8ish inches off the water...

If i upgrade to fancier reflectors, i will have them about 12ish inches.

Update time...

Thanks to a buddy of mine ive been able to get a lot of sps lately at ridiculously cheap pricing.

Everything has been lookin good lately. As im sure everyone always wants to improve, i wouldnt mind figuring out a way to get better color out of my sps. But hey im getting amazing growth and polyp extension soo its all good.

Heres an update FTS
015-3.jpg

all paramters are stable thanks to weekly waterchanges and b-ionic.
Elos and Salifert Test kits used-
alk-11
calc-430
ph-8.04-8.3
temp 80-82
salinity- 1.026
mag 1300
It is gettin about that time to get a LM3 to dose my alk and calc 2 part. Doing it manually will work for now though.

I recently did a test on some fressh newly mixed saltater that was mixing for a day. I use reef crystals salt and was curious because i herd in the past they had issues with low calcium and low magnesium.
Didnt see any problem... tests were all good
magnesium 1290
calcium 420
alk-11

I have seen a much better improvment in my skimmer ever since getting that gate valve mod. I took the little venturi valve off and seem to get a lot better foam and good wet skimmate.

One upgrade I really wanna do is the mH reflectors......

I want to cut the top of my canopy so I can set some lumen bright 3 minis or somethin like that. I want to see how much that would help out. WIll have to wait though as funds are pretty low right now.

I really wish it would cool down here in Dallas. Im really waiting for the nice cold weather to come in. Still like 90 here.
Will be nice to open up the windows and let in fresh air and the breezes... Since the tank is upstairs( and heat rises) my room can get a little humid.lol

Till next time

Cheers!

Evan

Finally got somewhat of a decent actinic pic
1145.jpg

heres some other pics
008-4.jpg

pink lemonade
010-3.jpg

pink jade
011-4.jpg

Lol dont have to many people following but hey what the heck! lol

The pink lemon and pink jade were takin right after they were put in the tank polyp extension is lookin very sweet now with those two.. especially the PL.. very glad to finally have one

Well, had today off from work and got bored and tried to take some decent pictures.
Actually suprised on how some turned out.(being a cruddy camera and all)
015-4.jpg

Also thought id be cool to see how some have grown in the future.

Cali tort
016-4.jpg

Ice blue tip staghorn
019-3.jpg

blueish, purpleish,brownish(lol) acropora millepora
022-4.jpg

Tenius
024-4.jpg

Uploading more to photobucket. Will post asap.

more pics

ora miami orchid and green slimer
025-2.jpg

another type of tenius
026-2.jpg

027-1.jpg

pink millepora
028-1.jpg

another two frags of acropora tenius
029-1.jpg

insignius staghorn
030-1.jpg

frag of pink jade startin to get reall healthy
031-1.jpg

orange montipora digita frag
033-1.jpg

All in all everything has been going smoothly. I couldnt ask for anything more. Just time to be patient and keep watching everything grow. I like buying frags and having the satisfaction of growing them into bigger colonies.

Evan, I'm looking at building a DIY canopy and adding some coral-growing lights to my fish-only system. I really liked the look of your tank when i came to buy those koralias from you a few months ago (which are still working great btw :) ).

Where did you get your retro-kit? I've been trying to find a good deal on some dual 175s or 250s, but everything seems so expensive or junky.

Back