for those of you who dont visit the "dark side" :) i just fragged my acan!!

jbob

for those of you who dont visit the "dark side" :) i just fragged my acan!!

well i did it.my lapidary blade for my wet tile saw came in the mail today so i decided what the hell, i'm doing it! all in all i think it went well. if i would've had a 6" blade it prly woulda gone a little better, but my 4" blade did alright. i did hafta cut the flesh in a couple places where the blade wouldn't go all the way thru, which was easy enough.

i made a rough count the other day and the number was 38 polyps....now i have 6 seperate piece with.....
6 polyps
1 polyp
4 polyps
8 polyps
4 polyps
5 polyps

thats the count of whole polpys, every piece has a couple of halfed polpys also...i tryed to keep this to a minimum, but i had to do what i had to do.

i dipped them in a lugols bath for about 10 minutes afterwards then place them back in the sand in front of the tank where the colony had been. the spots got a pretty good amount of flow so hopefully that'll keep the slime off.

everything i've read about fragging acans says they're very hardy corals, once established, so i'm pretty optimistic about them making it. the colony has been in my tank for over a year so they're def. established. when i bought the acan it only had 5 polyps so i've also had great growth. hopefully in a couple week they'll be fully healed. keep your fingers crossed for me. i'll get pics up soon, prly this weekend. until then heres the last pic i took of them, a couple weeks ago

well i did it.my lapidary blade for my wet tile saw came in the mail today so i decided what the hell, i'm doing it! all in all i think it went well. if i would've had a 6" blade it prly woulda gone a little better, but my 4" blade did alright. i did hafta cut the flesh in a couple places where the blade wouldn't go all the way thru, which was easy enough.

i made a rough count the other day and the number was 38 polyps....now i have 6 seperate piece with.....
6 polyps
1 polyp
4 polyps
8 polyps
4 polyps
5 polyps

thats the count of whole polpys, every piece has a couple of halfed polpys also...i tryed to keep this to a minimum, but i had to do what i had to do.

i dipped them in a lugols bath for about 10 minutes afterwards then place them back in the sand in front of the tank where the colony had been. the spots got a pretty good amount of flow so hopefully that'll keep the slime off.

everything i've read about fragging acans says they're very hardy corals, once established, so i'm pretty optimistic about them making it. the colony has been in my tank for over a year so they're def. established. when i bought the acan it only had 5 polyps so i've also had great growth. hopefully in a couple week they'll be fully healed. keep your fingers crossed for me. i'll get pics up soon, prly this weekend. until then heres the last pic i took of them, a couple weeks ago

Picture543.jpg

Re: for those of you who dont visit the "dark side" :) i just fragged my acan!!

Sounds cool, did you take pics during all this by chance? Hopefully everything makes it ok. I know from the fragging I've done sometimes the small ones don't make it (although I haven't fragged any acans).

LOL, thanks for sharing this with the outcasts. I have recently became an acan nut so I am curious to see how they come out. what did you do to get the great growth?

i did not take any pics during the process:( i was home by myself and i was already nervous enough, so i just did it as fast as i could and got them back in the tank.

as far as growth i dont know really...nothing special just fed them, and not even that often. i did feed them pellet food mostly tho, i'm sure it goes alot further than mysis.

also the "feeders/tenticles" were out about 2 hours after fragging so i'm thinking they're gonna make it

p.s. my fiance decided she was going to bed right next to the computer and the typing is making her mad lol. i'll have more tomorrow

Man that had to be nerve racking! Beautiful coral. It will be cool to see the different pieces take off in other tanks though.

same here until i got my tile saw. the day after it i tired it out on a chalice and a 5" fungia i have. i cut the chalice into 3 pieces and i cut the fungia in half, and then cut one of the halfs in half. the fungia was really easy and is healing nicely, but the chalice isn't doing as well. its not doing bad or infected but if i woulda used a thinner blade it would've been better. the blade i used was pretty fat and tore the flesh up pretty good.
thats why i ordered the lapidary blades for the acan. now that i have them i want to cut up some more stuff, but i dont really have anything else that would require a wet tile saw to frag. i've been thinking about cutting off a piece of my tubinaria, but i'm just being anxious, so i prly wont.

heres some pics about an hour after fraggin the other corals
Picture587.jpg

Picture588.jpg

Picture589.jpg

Picture590.jpg

this chalice piece took the worst of the beating, but the flesh is covering the "white" part now. these pics are a couple weeks old. and the white wasn't as bad as it looks in the pic
Picture591.jpg

Picture592.jpg

and these were taken a today. i didn't take any of the chalice's but you can see the fungia is healing nicely

Picture665.jpg

Picture666.jpg

Picture667.jpg

not the best pics but you get the idea. and the idea is, i need to clean my sand bed..had a little aglea break out. i cant wait till tbaquatics ships my hanna phosphate checker.

Picture660.jpg

Looks good. A dremel would probably be easier on any chalice coral than a wet saw, if you do another in the future.

Good job on the fragging! Now you just need a big frag tank and more corals to cut up :).

i think now that i have the thin blade it would go thru a chalice nicely. dremels worry me with the heat build up.

i know, i want a bigger frag tank...and more corals...hmm is that strange?
i've got a 20long but its pretty much full of zoa frags.

Back