for those who wish their spouse was more into reefing. might want to think again

maxheadroom

Clownfish Farmer
I've been keeping reefs for about 5-6 years now and while my wife was tolerant of my hobby, she was never really "into" it. Within the past few months I was able to upgrade to LEDs on my 29 gallon bio cube and it really started to blow up. That's about the time my wife "adopted" the bio cube as "her" tank. Now that she has "her" tank, I thought it would be a good idea to get her a little tank for her office. I found a nice 29gallon bio cube on craigslist and bought it for her. I even got a new bulb for my old 150w sunpod so she could keep some nice corals. Now my problem is my frag tank is getting emptied. Corals missing every day. O how I wish I didn't have to pay for corals when I first started. Lmao. Point is be careful what you wish for!

I've been keeping reefs for about 5-6 years now and while my wife was tolerant of my hobby, she was never really "into" it. Within the past few months I was able to upgrade to LEDs on my 29 gallon bio cube and it really started to blow up. That's about the time my wife "adopted" the bio cube as "her" tank. Now that she has "her" tank, I thought it would be a good idea to get her a little tank for her office. I found a nice 29gallon bio cube on craigslist and bought it for her. I even got a new bulb for my old 150w sunpod so she could keep some nice corals. Now my problem is my frag tank is getting emptied. Corals missing every day. O how I wish I didn't have to pay for corals when I first started. Lmao. Point is be careful what you wish for!

Simple solution. Tell Mrs. Maxheadroom the more corals that she takes from the frag tank, the less $$$ there is for shoes and purses. Corals will start to show up in the frag tank from nowhere.

same here, i just got a new tank with your support but now when we go buy one fish i leave with 3. she is like a fat kid in a candy store.

same here, i just got a new tank with your support but now when we go buy one fish i leave with 3. she is like a fat kid in a candy store.

My wife is the same way. But she wants the pretty fish that will eat the other fish or her pretty corals she picked out or will grow to big for the tank. So I tell her... hey lets just have a large reef tank, larhe fowlr tank and our good sized live plant fw tank... she tells me "that's too many tanks" I say well don't ask for everything and give me the sad puppy dog face

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

My gf has turned the spare bedroom into a seahorse breeding room! Bucket and buckets of baby seahorse. Then buckets of rotifers all over the place with bubblers and hoses all over the joint. Looks like a method lab!

My wife complains that all the corals I bring home are the same color, LOL! They look nice to me :D

My wife complains that all the corals I bring home are the same color, LOL! They look nice to me :D

Oh I've gotten that a lot too. And they are totally different. So I go inti the closet and pull out two shoes that are similar and show her abd she said, "omg those are totally two different colors... "

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

My wife likes as long as all she has to do is feed and look at it. I have to say though it is nice to have a common hobby. Well maybe a hobby for her is stretching a little. LOL !

My wife likes as long as all she has to do is feed and look at it. I have to say though it is nice to have a common hobby. Well maybe a hobby for her is stretching a little. LOL !

Dave, at least Casey will feed your tank. I am the only one who does anything to tank at our house. It was like pulling teeth to get my computer programming son to help me with the Apex and the Radions. My husband will go look, but like Lostmyz's spouse tries to pick out fish that either get too large or aren't reef friendly or falls in love with the corals that are over $100 each. He always seems to gravitate to expensive scolys or acans, which are my favorites but I can't bring myself to spend that much. When I asked an opinion, I am always told it is MY tank.

My gf has turned the spare bedroom into a seahorse breeding room! Bucket and buckets of baby seahorse. Then buckets of rotifers all over the place with bubblers and hoses all over the joint. Looks like a method lab!

Mine is begging me for one of those. I upgraded my tank recently, so I have a 30 cube sitting around that she wants in the bedroom filled with sea horses.

My gf just yells at me not to buy anything else anymore. Then we go to a LFS or someones house and she starts yappin at me to buy all the "pretty" pieces she likes. Yesterday i went for a Green Slimer frag at a tank breakdown and came home with three buckets of coral and a picasso pair with a nice nem.

Apparently it's okay to buy stuff even if you dont have room for it as long as it's "too cute to not buy them".

What is it with women and seahorses. My wive suggested I convert my biocube to a seahorse tank, LOL!

Mine is begging me for one of those. I upgraded my tank recently, so I have a 30 cube sitting around that she wants in the bedroom filled with sea horses.

Careful with AIO's and horses. For whatever reason (gas exchange I believe) most people who try H. erectus or H. reidi horses in All-In-One's usually wind up with dead horses pretty quickly.

If you DO try it....don't get more than 2 horses for that size tank. Dan @ Seahorsesource is a very reputable dealer up in Ft. Pierce....

What is it with women and seahorses. My wive suggested I convert my biocube to a seahorse tank, LOL!

I started my 37g seahorse tank because of my wife's suggestion as well. Of course, then i got the horse bug, so it took off.

Michelle has recently been bitten by the coral bug. Pretty colors. So she's always surfing liveaquaria, asking when we can get this or that new coral frag. :lmao: I may have created a monster. Her other addiction are fish that can't be kept with coral. She's asked on more than one occasion if we can keep a Koran angel...."just for a little while"....until is grows up and starts nipping coral. Sigh....

Careful with AIO's and horses. For whatever reason (gas exchange I believe) most people who try H. erectus or H. reidi horses in All-In-One's usually wind up with dead horses pretty quickly.

If you DO try it....don't get more than 2 horses for that size tank. Dan @ Seahorsesource is a very reputable dealer up in Ft. Pierce....

Gas exchange is poor, as well as temperature control. Most AIOs run hot, so a chiller would be a must. I would also consider a skimmer, even it its just a fancy bubbler, LOL! I don't know much about horsies, but know enough that I will NOT use my biocube as a stable when I take it down.

Gas exchange is poor, as well as temperature control. Most AIOs run hot, so a chiller would be a must. I would also consider a skimmer, even it its just a fancy bubbler, LOL! I don't know much about horsies, but know enough that I will NOT use my biocube as a stable when I take it down.

Yes to everything you said here. Best to use a 29 or 37g old-fashioned tank for these guys. Or bigger.

Back