forum etiquette

*when joining a forum (anywhere on the web) it's courtesy to say "hi" and introduce yourself
*no reply to a post doesn't mean you're being ignored. It simply means that no one reading the post knows the answer to your question OR (if they know the answer) they can't answer your question at the moment :)

Least we not forget, dont type in all caps YOU COME ACROSS AS SHOUTING! Also dont type in a large or bold font its simply annoying

I can't speak for everyone, and it may not bother some people, but when people can't even try to write proper English, it really irritates me. I figure if they can't be bothered to take a little extra time to punctuate, capitalize, etc, and make it easier to read I am not going to be bothered to reply, even if it's something easy like explaining how the nitrogen cycle works, or identifying an aiptasia.

I think a minimum of 24 hours should pass without any responses before someone responds to their own post with "anyone?"

If one is addressing proper English one shouldn't use run on sentences:)

I figure if they can't be bothered to take a little extra time to punctuate, capitalize, etc, and make it easier to read I am not going to be bothered to reply, even if it's something easy like explaining how the nitrogen cycle works, or identifying an aiptasia.

I don't ask for perfect English, just try. You see posts on here (not necessarily in the URS section) all the time like...

plz help me i dont no what iz going on wit my tank ther is stuff all on the rox and it doesnt look good wen will my coraline grow

I take one look at the thread, and hit the back button.

ohh, I understand :) I don't mind getting my chops busted. It happens pretty much daily actually.

That brings us to another thing. Have a sense of humor! Oh and if you are a smart aleck(like me) and you are throwing out an off color comment or being sarchastic, remember your smilies :)

If one is addressing proper English one shouldn't use run on sentences

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I figure if they can't be bothered to take a little extra time to punctuate, capitalize, etc, and make it easier to read I am not going to be bothered to reply, even if it's something easy like explaining how the nitrogen cycle works, or identifying an aiptasia.

Looks more like a comma splice to me.
:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15041748#post15041748 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by daveverdo
If one is addressing proper English one shouldn't use run on sentences:)

Shouldn't there be a comma between the words "English" and "one"? Also, don't forget your periods!!

I'm just sayin :D

Seriously....just poking fun.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15042125#post15042125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RyanEG
That brings us to another thing. Have a sense of humor! Oh and if you are a smart aleck(like me) and you are throwing out an off color comment or being sarchastic, remember your smilies :)

What does sarchastic mean?

It's funny because I have grown up in the "lol" "lmao" "brb" "ttyl" generation and it's really hard to get out of that. I have practiced long and hard to get my online grammar back. I'm not going to lie I miss the old days of, " i dunno wut iz gonna happen but we will find out laterz" *sniff sniff*. But oh well, I prefer to read threads in english anyway.

I'm with everyone in the fact that I cant stand the crap that some people pass as english. I play a lot of online video games and the texting language/l33t speak drives me nuts. If I am forced to respond to it I usually say "what" until they revert to a know language and I have grown up on the tail end of text generation. I don't miss it one bit.

Back to the original post. Spelling out what you are talking about tends to help a lot. Some people tend to get lost when you start to talk about the RBTA you saw a YWG at the LFS the other day.

ThAnk$ 4 cUnFuRmiiN tHe u$E oF pR0PuR Gr@aMMIr! WoRd SoN!

PS- MY RBTA and YWG got TOTM and are FS in the WYSIWYG forum on NR, JMHO. :lol:

...sorry Gar, had to!

I guess using texting shorthand is becoming more acceptable online. It bugs me when my college students turn in a lab report, homework, or a paper using online terminology:confused:

Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15047713#post15047713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by daveverdo
I guess using texting shorthand is becoming more acceptable online. It bugs me when my college students turn in a lab report, homework, or a paper using online terminology:confused:

Dave

wow, that's sad.

Back