Found Clam

Splitcane

I found one of my recently acquired coral frags turned over one morning...upon closer inspection, I found this clam attached and growing on the underside. Any idea what type it may be and what I should do with him? Should I pry him off and put him in a spot where he can get some light? I'm asking because it looks like he flipped the frag over. The pic is a zoomed in shot..he's probably about a 1/2 inch or so. I've never dealt with clams of any kind so I don't just want to pry him off the frag. I've gotten various feather dusters and a few other things as hitchhikers but never a clam like this. Any advice and info regarding ID would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• Clam.jpg
    Clam.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
i gotta say i don't know... i tried google and got lost...
does it fluoresce under your lights? if so, you might actually have some tridacniid... i doubt it... but who knows... don't pry it off if you want it to live... try some phyto plankton. it should have a fleshy exhaust 'tube' if it's still alive. does it shut up tight?

there's a boat load of bivalves that remain uninteresting and therefore unknown in our hobby. let us know how it goes.

Back