Found out what my mysterious puffer is!!!

Kimberleydg

I posted a month or so wondering what my fish I was... it didn't matter too much, but I just wanted to know. I thought he might be a porcupine puffer, but his spines are always upright. The other thought was a spiny boxfish, but that didnt match exactly either. Well well... I got a copy of "Aquarium Fish" magazine in the mail today and to my amazement was my fish on the cover... identical! Turns out he is called a orbicular burrfish. So now I have searched the internet, and aside from a few more pictures I haven't been able to find out any information about the guys. Have you ever heard of them?

I have had mine for about 2 years. It eats like a pig but it is pretty shy towards my other fish. Seems to be hardy though.

Awesome JuiceIt. Thanks! I've had him about 6 months and he seems to be healthy as can be, always "smiling" and doesnt seem to mind the other fish or anything. How big is yours? Do you anything special about them or are we even supposed to have them? Since I cant find anything online

burrfish is the not as common name for a porcupine puffer

Same fish, different name :)

Like others stated there are several varities of these fish & every one I have owned has eaten like a pig.

burrfish is not a porcupine puffer. very different survival records. but if yours is eating it has a very good chance.

thanks fishome. He had a hard time for the first month or so, I knew he had come straight from the ocean and he was my first fish, I didnt know what to do. He sat under a rock and unhappy and wouldn't eat for weeks, maybe a month. Then one day he just snapped out of it and must have decided to give aquarium life a try. :) He is really active now, eats a ton, and I'd say he is happy at least.
Viggen, they look a lot a like, but not quite. Different species and everything

porc puffer first
orbicular burrfish second

Attachments

• porc.jpeg
    porc.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 0
  • orby2.jpeg
    orby2.jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 0
Awesome JuiceIt. Thanks! I've had him about 6 months and he seems to be healthy as can be, always "smiling" and doesnt seem to mind the other fish or anything. How big is yours? Do you anything special about them or are we even supposed to have them? Since I cant find anything online

I bought mine at the local fish store so I don't think there is anything wrong with having one. Mine eats spectum pellets and raw shrimp and seems to be doing just fine. He is around 4 inches and seems to keep to himself most of the time.

I love the way that they look like they are smiling :).

That's their hungry face. It never ends.

My puffer, and I have a love hate relationship. I love watching him, but hate wiping cups worth of saltwater off my hardwood. :uzi::fish1:

Back