FOWLR-96 x 24 x 25

reefinready

Hey gang! Been a couple years :)

So, I have been out of the loop ohh since metal halides were the big thing:eek2:

Never done a predator tank but used to be very adept. Bred seahorses, fragged sps etc.

Nonetheless, my knowledge base is old and outdated and I have only a vague semblance of a plan for this guy.

This will be for my kids and so I have a few prereqs:
1) Blue Tang- I might be able to talk my kids into a tang that is less susceptible to disease but not to worried.
2)I would like a Hardwicke Wrasse but could lean towards another wrasse if need be.
3) Wife wants a trigger:worried: that being said, she has the least say in fish selection.

Ideally one of my kids wants an angel as well. Surely one of them will want a clownfish( i have a lot of kids) but that is probably not going to work unless maybe I go tomato clown but I think i can talk them out of this.

Now for some dumb questions:
I really have been out of the loop.

I need a sump: I will probably buy a smaller tank off craigslist to make into a sump. Are refugiums common in FOWLR? I want to keep maintenance low so if the added water quality of the refugium is beneficial than I will consider it. What is the mechanical/chemical filtration that is being used these days? DSB? bioballs?

I need a protein skimmer: suggestions?

cleanup crews appear to be a shot in the dark which is ok as I don't mind cleaning by hand.

Lights....I am thinking I can go pretty barebones here?

Sorry for the dumb questions...it has been awhile. Wouldn't mind any links or systems similar in size to my plan and what they may use.

Anything I am missing $ wise? Stand/canopy I have covered. I am leaving all of the calcium reactors and stuff to the reef guys :)

Is your plan to make it a predator tank or just FOWLR? If just a normal FOWLR then you should be able to keep most kinds of clowns. If would go with a blue throat or pink tail trigger, or a pair.

The Hardwicke might limit your selection a bit, but should be ok in that size aquarium.

Is your plan to make it a predator tank or just FOWLR? If just a normal FOWLR then you should be able to keep most kinds of clowns. If would go with a blue throat or pink tail trigger, or a pair.

The Hardwicke might limit your selection a bit, but should be ok in that size aquarium.

Hmm, I hadn't really thought of the distinction between the two. I don't plan on adding any lionfish,clowntriggers,sharks etc.

I do want a larger angel in there if I can muster it. Bummer about the hardwicke. I might consider a bluehead wrasse or a few others if it makes compatibility that much easier. That is the nice thing about this stage in the game:)

So to answer your question...I think FOWLR.

Any Thalassoma wrasse comes with some risk. As long as you're willing to accept that you can probably roll with it. You can definitely get a large angel, but I would recommend avoiding the largest of those, and plan on adding it last if you get something like an emperor. You can get a CUC, just avoid shrimp or some of the others that are more likely to be eaten. I really enjoy groups of dwarf angels, so that's something you could consider. Hawkfish are usually interesting additions as well, as long as you avoid the giant one.

IMO, you should get a good protein skimmer. The refugium is nice but not necessary. I would look into some cheaper LED lights. They should last for a FOWLR for a really long time, and since you aren't planning on corals you don't need many bells and whistles.

The wrasse will be aggressive, I'd switch it out. A more peaceful trigger will be fine, same goes for any larger clownfish species.

The wrasse will be aggressive, I'd switch it out. A more peaceful trigger will be fine, same goes for any larger clownfish species.

bummer"¦ Seems you guys are spot on as I research more. Still figuring out what all i want and in the grand scheme of things probably posted a bit early ahh well. I defiantly want a wrasse so now thinking Lineatus Fairy Wrasse or pinktail

So far this is what I am looking at-
I am narrowing down cost to see what this is going to be:

protein skimmer-SRO 3000 In-Sump Protein Skimmer: ~500
Tank with covered overflows,glass top and bulkheads: ~1800 unless I find a steal used

Stand- thinking of using cynder blocks and covering them up with a nice oak but haven't done really any research ~ a couple hundred

Dehumidifier for the basement/fish room: $250 Any suggestions?

Sump: Still debating on refugium. Possibly going to copy melevreefs model F but if i don't do a refugium than I may just have a skimmer section and a large area for return/failsafe. Unsure on cost but diy with rubbermaids or glass from craigslist

Liverock- probably going to get mostly baserock. perhaps ~200

Need to figure out tank volume/flow rates etc. for return pumps and pumps within tank etc.

quarantine tank: Ideally i have enough room under my tank for both the sump and quarantine tank.

Still deciding on ATO or just keeping bulk water on hand.

RO system- $200 ? suggestions?

2x48inch led fixtures- ~300$

More to come!

bummer"¦ Seems you guys are spot on as I research more. Still figuring out what all i want and in the grand scheme of things probably posted a bit early ahh well. I defiantly want a wrasse so now thinking Lineatus Fairy Wrasse or pinktail
Now those will likely be too small and peaceful. I'd go with a melanurus wrasse or another wrasse in the same genus.

So far this is what I am looking at-
I am narrowing down cost to see what this is going to be:

protein skimmer-SRO 3000 In-Sump Protein Skimmer: ~500
Tank with covered overflows,glass top and bulkheads: ~1800 unless I find a steal used

Stand- thinking of using cynder blocks and covering them up with a nice oak but haven't done really any research ~ a couple hundred

Dehumidifier for the basement/fish room: $250 Any suggestions?

Sump: Still debating on refugium. Possibly going to copy melevreefs model F but if i don't do a refugium than I may just have a skimmer section and a large area for return/failsafe. Unsure on cost but diy with rubbermaids or glass from craigslist

Liverock- probably going to get mostly baserock. perhaps ~200

Need to figure out tank volume/flow rates etc. for return pumps and pumps within tank etc.

quarantine tank: Ideally i have enough room under my tank for both the sump and quarantine tank.

Still deciding on ATO or just keeping bulk water on hand.

RO system- $200 ? suggestions?

2x48inch led fixtures- ~300$

More to come!

I would avoid live rock and go with Marco Dry Rock... Def need a qt but keeping it so close to dt can be trouble...it only takes one drop of water from dt to cause havoc with qt....
these lights are great...t5, moonlights, 3 channels, programmable...
avast marine makes a very simple ato...I may even have a spare, unused...lemme check....will get back to you...
this is the one I am referring to...http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/Top-off-Kit

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+13822+23751&pcatid=23751

Back