Foxface trapped by Tunze 6100

Another thought - the tunze is on a surge controller. The sudden increase in suction could have caught him off guard.

BTW - I'm not trying to be in denial that something could have already been wrong with this fish. Just trying to explore all possibilities and see what others have found.

You know your fish better than anyone else, all WE can do is speculate. Maybe the foxface just did get caught off gaurd, the main thing is to keep him safe right? so if it means that you have to keep the powerheads clean then that's all you have to do, fish are like children sometimes, keep us posted please.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9785912#post9785912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
it looks exactly like the two you allready have. :)

Actually, probably not. I recently soaked mine in vinegar and scrubbed all the algae off of them.

The reason I asked is because algae will grow on these pumps and partially cover the slots. This increases the suction velocity in the remaining open area which is not blocked by algae. I am curious to see if the pumps are completely clean, or to what degree they may be overgrown and blocked. The same amount of flow through a smaller area means a stronger suction.

Same thing happened to my Sailfin Tang but after I saw him stuck and shut off the pump, he's none the worse for wear. He was a little timid for a couple of days. That was several months ago. He's fat and happy.

Good luck...

Just to keep the record straight foxfaces shouldn't be skinny. Here is a pic of mine

5328foxface.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9789575#post9789575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marie
Just to keep the record straight foxfaces shouldn't be skinny. Here is a pic of mine

5328foxface.jpg

Wow - that pic is now what I aspire towards for my foxface, assuming it gets through this. Thanks!

Maybe your fox does have a chance. I know mine will darken up almost instantly when stressed. Even though yours looks like a steak with grill marks he doesn't look stressed.

My fox is also the only fish that tries to grab nori off the power head intake (gets loose from the clip and always ends up on the intake). Maybe he was grazing.

Hope he makes it

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9802396#post9802396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SlowCobra
Is it still alive? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

It is still alive, thanks for asking, though it's still sporting some pretty nasty grill marks. No scabbing or necrosis, but there are some dark lines/bruising in there. Sorry no new pics, but it's been dark in the tank for the last two days. I turned on the actinics for a few hours yesterday, but after a while it retreated behind a rock and darkened up, so I left them off again today.

I've been leaving some nori on the clip for several hours per day and it has been eating some. I'll feed some Formula 2 when I get home tonight.

Btw, LobsterOfJustice, I did look at the algae growing on my Tunze and while it does need some scrubbing, it's not growing over the intake at all. Good idea though - definitely something to keep in mind in the future.

That's good news, glad to hear. I suggest feeding it everything it will eat. Lots of variety to boost the immune system in case the injuries get any kind of infection.

For everyone following this topic, what do you think about putting one of those plastic coil wrist bands around our pumps over the inlets? Kind of like the ones on this link. (they do come in black! :) ) I think they would be safe, not restrict flow, and keep any fish from getting sucked onto the pump.

Thoughts?

http://www.getyourshirts.com/fun/s902.html

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9802519#post9802519 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Satori
That's good news, glad to hear. I suggest feeding it everything it will eat. Lots of variety to boost the immune system in case the injuries get any kind of infection.

Any special suggestions for the menu? marie, surely you can offer something here. I've already mentioned the usual items - nori, algae, F2...

Maybe try some frozen baby brine, bloodworms, chopped clams and oysters. Soak the food in Selcon if you can get it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9802586#post9802586 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Satori
Maybe try some frozen baby brine, bloodworms, chopped clams and oysters. Soak the food in Selcon if you can get it.

I'd go with marine based, high protein content foods (perhaps PE mysis would be the FW exception) to fatten them up. It takes a few months. I had a very skinny tomini tang that took several months to fatten up. He now regularly rasps algae off the CL intake screen attached to my hammerhead :eek1: No problems. I agree with what Marie is showing...tangs/rabbitfish should not be thin. Laterally compressed? Sure. But not thin. Shipping takes quite a lot out of them IMO.

I feed my tank 1 1/2 to 2 full sheets of nori, spectrum flake, mysis shrimp and frozen angel food every day. I'm trying (to no avail) to keep my regal angel from eating my corals by keeping her overfed:rolleyes:

I have an achilles tang, regal angel, foxface, 2 mandarins,4 glass cardinals, 2 bangaii cardinals and 2 orchid dottybacks to feed

The foxface was showing significant improvement last night when I got home from work. The swelling seems to have mostly subsided and the dark lines have faded into silvery lines of damaged scales. It ate some F2 last night and I'm going to start ramping up the high-protein diet tonight.
Lights are back to normal schedule (for now at least) so hopefully I can get more pics soon.

Reminiscing tonight - I just finished breaking down my tank (taking an extended break from the hobby), and this foxface was among the last of the livestock to come out (sold to a local hobbyist). He did make a full recovery, fattened up quite a bit, and could usually be found playing around in the currents of the Tunze. In the process of nursing him back to health, he became a really great eater and even though he often grazed around the pump, he never had a problem with getting stuck again.

Back