Frag disk

Round ones aren't that productive. Let's say you have some type of encrusting monti or some gsp. You have it growing in the middle of four more round disk when it gets to the edges then it will just have a little of the edge to spread to. If it has a hexagon disk to grow off of and has a flush fitting up to other disks it will grow at an inhibited rate and yelled more frag for future grow out. This would be great for acans encrusting montipora or all together any encrusting coral.
ae956591-fb9b-6c4e.jpg

Raffle grabber

I have been using Travertine square tiles with out any problems. It is very economical too. I bought a 1' x 1' sheet for I think about $7. Which turns out to be a bunch of tiles. Also been using the 2"x2" square tiles for larger frags.

I started out using a single square, when it gets close to the edges I superglue 8 more tiles around the initial square. When it come to fragging, I just snap the square to seed other colony grow outs.

square are mas produced. as mentioned. you can get tiles, or from most reef-online places, you can get square plugs out of ceramic or regular aragonite.

(boston aqua farms makes custom plugs. just let them know what you want.
although, they wont make octagons because they have a contract with reef-koi or something like that who uses only those shapes. but they made me some Hex plugs!)

just go buy some ceramic hex tiles from a box store and put the tiles in your toilet tank for a month to cure...cheap and easy

Someone told me that it peaches stuff out. But if its fired there shouldn't be anything wrong. But if its natural stone depending on what kinda stone it might have certain menerals or elements that may be slighty harmful.

Raffle grabber

Copied and pasted from wiki

Travertine is a form of limestone deposited by mineral springs, especially hot springs. Travertine often has a fibrous or concentric appearance and exists in white, tan, and cream-colored varieties. It is formed by a process of rapid precipitation of calcium carbonate, often at the mouth of a hot spring or in a limestone cave.

In my experience, it had grown a little bit of red hair algae on it but no major negative effects thus far. Been using them for at least 6 months.

Ok I wasn't sure. But at the frag swap we had lots of people with square tiles for frag disks. Well what I will do is buy a sheet of this stuff and then still make a silicone mold. I found these things all over the web. I found some 2in. and I found some 1in. so I'm on the right track. Just need to get all the supplies.;)

Raffle grabber

Thanks for all the input guys. We have guys in my reef club that make square disk. I'm just trying to bring more flavor to our club. And we have atleast 5 coral farmers in our club including me. I'll show pictures soon guys wish me luck.

Raffle grabber

So after weeks of searching and going crazy I have found the molds to make them. So maybe next week I can start production. I'll post pictures when I get enough poured and ready for curing just in case somebody what's to put in an order.;)

Raffle grabber

Back