Frag Event January 26th

nauti1us

ORCA President 2007~2008
Hi All

I just wanted to drop you all a quick note to let you know that on Saturday January 26th ORCA : The Orlando Reef Caretakers Association Reef Club will be hosting it's regular club meeting along with a HUGE Frag Event. There will be food & drinks and great comradery. Come share the fellowship and shared passion of reefkeeping with the members of ORCA.

ORCA will be hosting (4) Four such events throughout the year. Anyone is welcome to attend. In fact, outside guests are encouraged to bring frags to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. The frag donor and the ORCA club split the winnings in half. It's a win - win deal :D Participation in the event is free to members while we ask guests for a one-time fee of $5 at the end of the night if corals are won. If you have any questions on how the frag event works or need additional information, please email me at
president@o-r-c-a.com

Frags MUST be brought to the meeting in store quality bags. Leaking bags and misrepresented corals will not be accepted. Take care to package your frags properly and carefully. If you know that you have pests, i.e. REDBUG or FLATWORM do "not" bring your frags to the event. Respect your fellow hobbyists. We are all in this together.

Many of ORCA's members excell in growing SPS corals along with Zoos and LPS corals. This is an event you don't want to miss. So mark your calenders and be sure to check out our Frag Event scheduled for January 26th. Doors open at 6:00 PM and the meeting/event will start promptly at 7:00 PM. Please check out the meeting schedule information located here for directions to our meeting along with contact information and times: http://www.o-r-c-a.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=53

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Matt Kantz
ORCA President
www.o-r-c-a.com

:wavehand:

Fine Print:
*** Any misrepresentation of frags will not be tolerated, the ORCA reserves the right to decline frags from the event at any time whether it be for obvious parasites or over growth of nuisance algea.

*** ORCA is not responsible for the introduction of unwanted pests into the winning bidders tank. It is the sole resposibility of each and every hobbyist to quarentine any corals won at any ORCA frag event. I can not stress this enough...

So just to get an idea. This is an Ebay type of frag swap in Orlando where people from Miami are invited to drive over 200 miles to attend?

Not tempting at all.

djfrankie

hey be nice. it was nice of them to invite us. the fine print about pests, while understandable was a bit harsh. YOU should treat everything you receive before it goes into your tank, and sellers should also be honest too though.

I'm in orlando right now at a chickfila opening on my cellphone. safe to say I don't plan on coming down again any time soon, but thank you for the invite :)

Oh no I completely agree with the fine print. The idea about frags not being misrepresented and bug free is superb.

The idea about auctioning off corals to the highest bidder in a club frag swap is not my style. And then the auction fee of $5 if you win just threw me off :)

If I wanted to participate in an auction I would go to Ebay instead and save over 400 miles round trip.

In any case, thanks for the invite.

djfrankie

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11615605#post11615605 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by djfrankie
Oh no I completely agree with the fine print. The idea about frags not being misrepresented and bug free is superb.

The idea about auctioning off corals to the highest bidder in a club frag swap is not my style. And then the auction fee of $5 if you win just threw me off :)

If I wanted to participate in an auction I would go to Ebay instead and save over 400 miles round trip.

In any case, thanks for the invite.

djfrankie

I wish I could attend but I am to busy with school.

Thanks for the invite though,

-Matthew :D

Last edited:
Instead of being rude by rejecting their invitation outright, wouldn't it make more sense to simply tell them if you cannot attend?

This isn't any different than the reef club BBQ and auction that was held over on the west coast in November. A few of us from FMAS made the trip, as did a big group from ORCA. Last year, 4 guys from the Tampa/Sarasota reef clubs drove all the way to Fort Lauderdale to attend our frag swap.

At the BBQ/auction in November, several of the ORCA members that Christy and I talked to were very interested in our upcoming frag swap. I wonder if they will still have any interest in coming after reading these negative comments from our club members?

Hey guys, take it for what it's worth. I was simply just making the offer in case anyone from your neck of the woods was in town during that time.

Our frag event has been hugely popular for many years and I thought it would be nice to make the offer to you all as well. Clearly it doesn't make sense to drive such a long distance simply for a few cheap frags.

And as far as fine print... it's amazing the grief I get from people who come back on the club for frags they won that had pests or any number of problems. While it's not a huge problem, it bears worth making the point very clear. Very few people quarentine their corals despite what they say in public. In order to be successful in doing something like this on a regular basis, the rules have to made clear to those who have selective hearing.

Matt

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11615831#post11615831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nauti1us
And as far as fine print... it's amazing the grief I get from people who come back on the club for frags they won that had pests or any number of problems. While it's not a huge problem, it bears worth making the point very clear. Very few people quarentine their corals despite what they say in public. In order to be successful in doing something like this on a regular basis, the rules have to made clear to those who have selective hearing.

Matt

I believe the fine print should be the norm, but then again how many people are not aware they have pests in their own tanks?

Once again thanks for the invite.

djfrankie

Thanks for the invite, Matt.
If I was going to be in the Orlando area I would definitely attend just to see the stuff your members are culturing.
Something that might be commonplace in your circle of tanks might be a rarity in ours.
I will certainly pass on the info to my cousin just north of you in Eustis who's just starting to get interested in corals.
This'll be a good opportunity for him to get his feet wet without spending a fortune at a LFS.
Thanks again for the info.

Back