• Like it, continue using it

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Hate it, stop using it

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Other, please explain below

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

joeyf

To those who went to April PROP auction...

I want to know how you liked the packaging of my frags. For those that don't remember, mine were the ones in the tiny ziploc bags with the picture attached to the front.

Any comments welcome :)

I would say "hated" is a much stronger word than I'd use. They were very cute, but the water volume was just too small. Corals use lots of oxygen, just like all animals. Ever notice how the pound doesn't shrink wrap dogs and cats? :)

I think pics are always a great help, especially to the newbie/novice. I remember at my first auction I was wondering why all the SPS had no color on them. Having never owned SPS I didn't even realize at the time they they pulled inward so I think pics of some type are very helpul. I actually bought two blue mushrooms from you and they are both doing fine. I'm not sure how much water things need but I'm sure there is a minimum somewhere if for no other reason then to slow down heat transfer. Perhaps the same idea with bigger bags?

I thought it was a great marketing achievment. Mabey you can print them on Stickers and put them in containers.
The Mushroom I bought from you is doing great.

Oh I forgot about the pictures, that was a very nice touch, also the little bags were nice to show off the contents. The one we bought did not leak, but there just wasn't enough water to try to acclimate.

Cool. Thanks for the input!

So basically, different containers, but keep the pics...

Out of the 50 or so of those mini bags (not actual ziplocs) I've only had one that leaks. I did have a problem with the top part staying wet and ruining the pics though. I can get larger ones of the same type, but I don't know if the quality is the same. What does everyone think about those small ziploc brand containers? The small round ones that have about a 3" diameter? Those would be easier to package as well. I know a bunch of people that use them (Ed always did), but I think it still may be too small a volume.

widefx, thanks for the great idea! I will look into getting some labels to print the pics onto. I want to try and find some glossy ones though, cause I found out something interesting about my printer, on plain paper (even deluxe plain paper like what I used) pics look terrible in comparison to what they look like on glossy or semi-gloss.

For those that say "hare it, stop using it," please tell me why I should stop, or how I can change them.

Also, I'm not putting a patent on my packaging methods :D, so I encourage other sellers to give these ideas a shot. It doesn't take much time, and it may make something easier to sell than a brown stick in a container.

Joeyf for all you marketing prints always go with SemiGloss or a matt finish (it is in and it prints better)

I don't like it at all, the pictures are really cool, but I think you need to hook your corals up with some water, air, and protection.

The little Styrofoam cups with lids are about $5 for 100, I think it would be worth it.

Whiskey

Agreed with Wiskey - I go to smart and final and get packages of 200 of the little plastic or styrofoam restaurant style containers with lids. They are not as water tight as the ziplock ones, but they are way cheaper and they come in a variety of sizes.

I like the containers better than baggies because you can stack them in your cooler when you get a bunch of frags. I bring extra containers for frags that come in bags.

I happen to sell plastic containers ... if you ever get take out from a big national chain Chinese restaurant, you'll be taking home my translucent cups ... they fill them with 180 degree soup and the lids do not leak (the black containers were a competitor, they are being fazed out), but I could hook up a case of samples if you all needed them for the next time you trade/sell. I'll bring some examples today .. they can even be tamper evident, LOL!~

Sweet! I look forward to seeing them.

Any opinions on my old method of using my foodsaver to heat seal larger bags? I realize that they probably don't stack very well either, but they are pretty compact and do hold a fair amount of water.

Back