Frag Tank Progression

Kdocimo90

Superior Member
So the summer was extremely busy and we didn't get around to starting/finishing the frag tank set up in the basement. We fortunately got around to working on it the past 2 weeks. Lights and electrical still need to be done, but plumbing is finally finished. We had the plumbing set up but found out that the drain was only able to handle 1 return pump, so we had to get another bulkhead and drill another drain into the tank.

8000291236_54b28051a8_c.jpg

8000289565_ef32154e0b_c.jpg

8000289955_3bbfcce0d7_c.jpg

Last edited:
Are you in the basement with this setup? The reason I ask is isn't that particle board under the tanks. Particle board and moisure are a bad thing. The setup is awesome however!

See them! What are the plans for lighting?

I'm going to be using 2 lumen bright reflectors powered by a dual 175w Hamilton ballast. Going to be using 14k Phoenix Bulbs. I've heard great things bout the par and color so we'll see how that goes.

forgot the mention that one of the return pumps has two ball valves on it. This will make doing water changes a lotttt easier. When doing water changes, I'll revers the ball valves, directing the water to our basement sump pump (which pumps to the street).

The smaller rubbermaid on the left - I have one in blue. I used it to mix salt. After about 6 months it began to leech phosphates and I had to trash it. I can tell it's the same as mine because it appears to bow out a little bit when close to full and then the top barely fits, and mine did the exact same. I got mine at target. Just a heads up to keep you out of any possible issues in the future.

Otherwise looks great Kevin, keep us posted ;D

The smaller rubbermaid on the left - I have one in blue. I used it to mix salt. After about 6 months it began to leech phosphates and I had to trash it. I can tell it's the same as mine because it appears to bow out a little bit when close to full and then the top barely fits, and mine did the exact same. I got mine at target. Just a heads up to keep you out of any possible issues in the future.

Otherwise looks great Kevin, keep us posted ;D

Really??!! This is what it is: http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProd...=Specifications&ProductCategory=182&section=1

I even asked around if it would be fine before buying it. I definitely already planned on eventually getting something more durable and stronger.

You sure it's the same?

I can take a picture of mine to prove it if you'd like for peace of mind, but yes. Steralite 20g latching. Exact same item.

I can take a picture of mine to prove it if you'd like for peace of mind, but yes. Steralite 20g latching. Exact same item.

Oh, I take you for your word, I just wanted to make sure. Dang. I guess I should swap it out sooner than later. Any recommendations? Not looking to spend 75$+ on a sump though.

I got a set of 6 of those steralites for 40 dollars, so I swap em out every two to three months. Once they're all discarded I'll be making a new purchase. I don't have a particular recommendation, I"m sorry :(

I have an idea for ya. No first hand experience, but it might just work for ya. Pond liner! Line the rubbermaid with it then off ya go

I have an idea for ya. No first hand experience, but it might just work for ya. Pond liner! Line the rubbermaid with it then off ya go

That's actually not a bad idea at all (for the time being). Is pond liner alright for reef? How much is it?

Thanks for the recommendation.

Back