Fragging Acans and Chalices??

RobbsReef85

Any information on the best way to frag Acans and Chalices would be helpful.

My theory is get a nice new Rotozip blade and get busy.

any suggestions on what type of blade or other ways/methods to ensure success would be appreciated.

Thanks All.

iamwrasseman

yes you can frag onr polyp ,but it is difficult to do well . first you need the right saw and most use a 4"tile saw but you need a wet band saw or a wet recriprocating scrolling saw and they both need a diamond blade to work well .the later works great but will set you back a few hundred dollars to purchase . the rotozip saw that you are refering to will work but its difficult to cut accurately IMO . dipping in an iodine solution after the cutting will help them heal with better speed .you can remove the acans for twenty to thirty minutes and they will completely recess so you can see where your cutting better but you can just hack em into pieces and they usually will fare out very well . the chalices that you are refering to are an encrusting type so just break off a piece and you can glue it to a disk and your good to go . GOOD LUCK

RobbsReef85

iamwrasseman,
thanks for the informative response.

I have a bridge-tile saw but not sure if were running a diamond blade.

It seems like it would be easier to use a dremel w/ a diamond blade. Im not too worried about accuracy.

thanks again.

iamwrasseman

the tile saw will be much easier because the corals are hard to hold while cutting with one hand , i have both and the tile saw is so much easier but the dremel may work great for you so give it a try and good luck

roshi719

When it comes to fragging LPS corals no tool in the world makes it easier than an inland DB-100 diamond bandsaw. They are wet cut so there is minimal heat transmission into the coral flesh. In addition it is a bandsaw so you can cut curves or whatever with it. I can cut off a single polyp of acan or cut just one eye off of a chalice with it no problems.

hansmatt

I've seen an inland bandsaw in use...and it was a beautiful thing...clean & accurate cuts of everything with minimal tearing. If you are going to be fragging acans or other lps on a regular basis, there is no better. I used a wet tile saw for a big bunch of acans. It worked, but the cuts were not able to follow the contours of heads...If you're spending hundreds on acans or chalices, do yourself and your corals a favor.

metalmulisha

+1 on the bandsaw. Its literally a jigsaw that can cust in between the coralite. I don't have one but I generally use a tile saw if the base is thick. I cut the base to create a thinner piece. Then use a dremel to cut in between the coralite.