Fragging Montipora

Keiki Moana

Hi- newbie with SPS question. I got a very nice piece of purple montipora which is encrusted over a plug so it looks like a dome over a bottle cap. What is the best way to frag or propagate this? Thanks.

if its large enough you can simply snap a piece off with your finger and glue it onto something (rock or frag plug)

Create a massive live rock avalanche over the monti and pray it doesnt break your glass. Thats the way i accedentally fragged my monti (oops).

^^^ lol...I've had a mini LR avalanche as well...the worse thing is the water slows the rocks falling, so you're just like NOOOOO and everythign is in a slower motion. Makes you double check everythign is stable when aquascaping.

for the original question, just snap off a piece. I trimmed mine with a dremel and then glued it on to something. I have random pieces growing on the sand.

I like to take my encrusting monti's and glue 4qty square frag plugs together making a large square, set my monti on top and let it grow. then just pop the original off the middle and you end up with 4 nice size frags, then I do it again. They are easy to frag.

There are no arms or branches to "crack off" as its just a "dome"...I have no idea how thick it is under the "dome" ...can I just cut into it and peel and slice pieces off? Placing in on other slabs sounds like good idea but will take a lot of real estate space...:)..Thanks.

Back