Fragging Zoas in the tank

nystang

I made a big mistake by attaching some zoas frag to the main rock in my tank when I started. Now when the zoas spread pretty well it's time to frag them but I can't remove the rock from the tank so the only option is to frag them inside. The rock is pretty porous. This will also be my first fagging. I've just ordered a coral propagation kit from Dr Foster and Smith. Anyone has experience with this kind of fragging? The colony is in the lower part of the tank.

I have been looking at this as well. I have never frags Zoas, but I read you can cut them with a razor blade as close as possible from the rock. What I was thinking is holding the polyp with tweezers and cutting at the same time. Turn off all flow. It most likely a two person job. I hope we can get more input on this from someone with more experience.

-Sweet

Patience : just throw some rubble on or near them.. them will encrust over it in time.
then remove the rubble with zoa's in tow using an exacto knife to seperate the new colony from the old.

Hurry : Rip and tear construction. . I use a pick ( purchased a set of them at frieght harbor here locally for like 4.99 ) sort of like a dental pic.
they grow together in a mat of polyps. so I just pic under them and start lifting. peel back the mat and just use an exacto knife or razor blade (my personal favorite) to cut out the section you want.

really simple like others have said. I put the razorblade under the zoas and lifted gently with my thumb holding the mat between itself and the razor blade. lift as much as you want off and just cut it from the rest of the colony. just superglue what you cut away on a piece of rubble and place it close to the colony for a bit until it heals. I used to dip in a little new water and a little iodine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

oh I should add... I have alot of water 400+ gallons and a lot of flow.. if you are doing this in a nano tank or have very little flow I think there may be some toxins to consider that could very well hurt another coral nearby. I have never had a problem I am just mentioning it because it is worth mentioning.

p.s. saftey glasses !

you can just cut the mat, in-between the heads. Then I use a wood chisel and scrap part of the rock off with the mat. Then place what you took off where you want or on some rubble

Thanks. I'm not sure how the lifting of the mat will work as the rocks are very porous. They are BRS reef saver rocks. This is in 29g tank so I assume I will need to do a small WC after that due to toxins issue as was mentioned.

Make sure to run some fresh carbon as the toxins can really destroy some corals, I've lost some acans when I tore a colony moving a rock.

Which one did you get? I just bought the kit from BRS, but haven't used it yet. I will say the quality seems very good.

I was curious can you use regular superglue to attach zoas to a frag plug or rock or do you have to have glue specifically meant for coral? It seems like ive read and even used superglue before but I cant remember.

I was curious can you use regular superglue to attach zoas to a frag plug or rock or do you have to have glue specifically meant for coral? It seems like ive read and even used superglue before but I cant remember.

Superglue I use Cg from ecotech because of the sheer size of the bottle.. but have used loctite Gel and dollar store Gel... all of them are identical cyano based glue. as long as its gel it will work

The fragging went pretty well. Here is my experience. Due to the fact that the rock is very porous and some of the polyps were sitting deep in the pores, I lost a few. The CorrAfix that comes with the kit is good but the Crazy glue Gel is much better in my opinion. The CorrAfix has a consistency of Crazy Glue liquid than a gel but has I believe the same strength. I fragged about 75% of the colony. There is no stress on the remaining corals. I made a 10% WC after that and run some carbon. The frags are stressed which is I believe quite obvious but after a few hours most of them are opened. It's sunset now so I will see what will happen tomorrow. I learned my lesson. Next time zoas will grow on a separate, small rock.

Pics or it didn't happen :D

The way they grow and as fast as they do you will be able to seed all your friends tanks with zoa's.

just like you learned in kindergarten "don't be greedy and share with your friends"

Back