Fraging Toadstool

Reef Happy

Anyone know the proper way to frag a toadstool. I have a very large one that I need to crop back and frag. I have heard you can cut across the base and then I heard from one of our local stores today that you will kill it if you cut there. That you clip the top of the coral. I have heard they are pretty hardy.
Thanks,

i cut across the base, but do not separate the top from the bottom, just a piece of the base from the rest of the base.

You can just about slice them up anywhere and they will recover.
You can cut the cap in to segments or slice a piece off....there are many options.

Paul.

Hey, Travis and Paul
Thanks Travis I watched the video. It was really good. The video shows the head to be a small one with multiple heads. My question is my toadstool stalk is about 3" in dia and 10" tall and has just the one head, which is about 7". Can I cut the whole head off and it will grow another. Then I cut the head in pie pieces. I really want and need to get rid of the big stalk since it is taking up so much room in my 80 gallon.
I appeciate your help.

Thanks Paul,
Just wondering if the stalk can then be shortned after the head is cut away. And then what is left at the base after the middle is cut away and disregarded can portions at the base be cut away so it will grow multible heads.
Hope I made sense.
Thanks,

uh no......no sense whatsoever.

but....in my experience, every piece will regrow if large enough. Any piece attached to a rock will grow.

P.

I don't think I've ever seen that happen, but it doesn't mean that it can't. I believe they reproduce more by budding a new head from the stalk

I have sen them split across the base as they grow upwards leaving baby corals behind as they move. I havent sen a split like that, but if it looks healthy....leave it.

P.

Back