Frags for Saturday + Organizing my Tank...

ZOKU

Resident Ninja
Not only do I need to figure out how much cash I gotta bring to the meeting on Saturday... but I really need to figure out what direction I'm going to start taking my pico tank.

Let me know if I missed anything...

1.) Blue Cloves from customcolor... $5
2.) Yellow Polyps from Bri Guy... freebie.
3.) Pink Zoas (unnamed?) from Bri Guy... $5
4.) Palythoa frag from Hella... $10

As for my pico tank, do I pull the trigger, so to speak... and start getting my zoa frags off my substrate and attached to my live rock? Or am I okay to let the entire frag plug sit on the sand bed? I want them to grow out but if they aren't going to do so on the sand bed... they I'll need to attach them sooner or later, anyway.

I'm thinking out loud right now, but I was hoping that if/when all of these various zoa frags grew out on the sand bed... it would look like this insane little zoa garden, which I would love to achieve. :) But if their growth is going to be stunted in any way, I'd just assume begin using epoxy to attach them to my live rock... even though at first that would look a little unsightly. :(

In lieu of all that, I really do love my zoas... but I'm hoping to upgrade my pico lighting at some point so that I can eventually branch out into some various LPS corals. I'm not able to do that with the stock 9W lamp that comes with the JBJ Picotope. Eventually, I plan on upgrading to the 12" CurrentUSA 2x18W Dual Satellite fixture that seems to be a pretty common pico upgrade.

With that said... I'm reluctant to just start epoxying random zoa frags to my precious live rock real estate... as I didn't really have the intention of having a "zoa only" pico. Right now, I merely collecting zoas because A.) they're cool. B.) zoas and 'shrooms are the only "corals" that will typically grow and thrive under my mediocre lighting.

Sorry for the lengthy post...

What do you guys think?? :confused:

Last edited:
#3. Figi Pink Pallys, they came from DFS 2 yrs ago at the 2nd annual frag swap from the silent auction, thats what Kevin called them.

My opinion, I would keep them on the sand bed, but push them up to the rock work, zoas like to grow up towards the light and then they will attach to your rocks. (then you can sell the original frag plug)
And keep the tops for some prime stuff.

And in my experience, pallys will over take zoas, they grow faster for me. So try and keep the two apart.

good luck, see you sat

Thanks, Brian... I'll think I'll give that a shot. My sandbed is looking like a mine field of random zoa frags. :rollface:

I'll try to hug them against the face of my live rock and see if I can get them to branch upwards from them.

I'll take the Blue Colves if it hasn't been spoken for. I don't plan on going to the meeting, but we were going to do some nano swapps anyho.

LMK

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14795370#post14795370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ru ru ru rumpsk
I'll take the Blue Colves if it hasn't been spoken for. I don't plan on going to the meeting, but we were going to do some nano swapps anyho.

LMK

Dude,

I don't have the blue cloves. I'm BUYING the blue cloves. :) hee hee. I'm getting them from customcolor... you should PM him and see if he can frag some for you. I think he was running low though.

No announcement at all.

Just my own way of keeping track of what I'm getting from whom and who's giving me what. I gotta get my pico organized for frags. I can't be throwin' 'em in there all willy-nilly. :)

Back