fresh food for valentini puffer

I would like to offer my baby valentine puffer other types of food. so far, all he or she eats is pellets and selcon soaked Mysis shrimp.

I want to offer some sort of a shellfish type from the supermarket. is it even advisable? could bring some sort of disease to my tank.

any tips to what kind?

I assume i have to clean it first too in rodi.

Lots of people use clams, mussels, shrimp etc from the supermarket without any problems. Just make sure to rinse them real well before you use it. You'll probably end up freezing the majority of it, but just take out what you need, defrost it, clean it, cut it up into small bits and feed it. Piece of cake.

Last edited:
I have been feeding clams to my fish every day for about 50 years. I think problems start after 50 years.

I have been feeding clams to my fish every day for about 50 years. I think problems start after 50 years.

This has inspired me! There is a creek near where I live, there is quite a bit of hog confinement and farm waste/runoff that gets drained there, but there are plenty of clams in the mud. Time to dig some up!

I've got a creek near my house that isn't next to a bunch of hogs and there's no way in hell I would use any of the clams or crayfish pulled from these waters. Yuck!
I think you would be better off just getting them from the supermarket or your LFS as well. Sometimes you can find clams, mussels, squid etc in little blister packs.

Sometimes you can find clams, mussels, squid etc in little blister packs

That would be better, I just find them in their shell in a bay. But in the winter, like today, I found them in the supermarket

I really wasn't serious, just providing an example of how advise needs to be taken in context. But yes, the water here is that bad.

I often wonder if there is a difference between "Asian store" seafood and an organic store (like Whole Foods) seafood in terms of extra chemicals etc.

Back