fresh water dip for ich?

sc50964

Yes that will take care of some of what's on his body but will have zero effect in the floating ones in the tank. Need to set up a QT and let the tank go fallow for 2 weeks.

scarpenter

unfortunately that is not an option. interesting enough the large yellow tang never gets sick.

I need another blood red cleaner shrimp.

Rea17

Freshwater dips have no effect on ich whatsoever, but can provide temporary relief for flukes and velvet. Garlic and cleaner shrimp also have no effect on ich. Please read the ich sticky at the top of this forum and review your treatment options.

Rea17

okay...so what will hypo salinity do to softies and LPS coral?

Hypo will kill corals and inverts. You need a separate hospital tank for your fish to treat them properly. Hypo is difficult to execute and doesn't treat every strain of ich, so best stick with tank transfer method, cupramine, or chloroquine phosphate.

snorvich

Team RC member
Team RC
Freshwater dips have no effect on ich whatsoever, but can provide temporary relief for flukes and velvet. Garlic and cleaner shrimp also have no effect on ich. Please read the ich sticky at the top of this forum and review your treatment options.

Exactly. With cryptocaryon irritans the parasite is deeply embedded (as opposed to oodinium) so fresh water dips do not help nor do cleaner wrasses, shrimp. Garlic is an appetite enhancer but should not be used long term.

Spar

to keep with facts, the reason for the 10-12 fallow period being necessary to provide 100% (or near anyway) confidence that Ich is gone for good (assuming you QT your fish separately properly), is due to what we know about the Ich life cycle:
a) Trophont / when attached to the fish / 3 to 7 days attached to the fish
b) Protomont / crawls on substrate / 2 to 18 hours
c) Tomont / begins to encyst on a hard surface / Hardens in 8-12 hours
d) Tomites / while a cyst, it splits into daughter parasites / 3 to 72 days inside cyst, however most 4 to 8 days
e) Theronts / new parasites hatched from the cyst / 24 hours to find a fish host or die

Pretty much all of the stages are predictable to only last 1 to 7 days. However the Tomite stage is where things get tricky. In most cases the cysts 'hatch' in 4 to 8 days, but they have been shown to last up to 72 days. So 2 weeks of fallow may very likely be enough, but it certainly isn't going to provide you with enough confidence to convince yourself you won't have to go through this awful hobby stage of QT + fallow again in the near future.

My recurring recommendation to help with your Ich issue is to do Tank Transfer Method on your fish and then run fallow your DT for 10-12 weeks. You will need to house your fish in a larger tank until the fallow period in your DT completes... this water and anything you put in the temporary tank will obviously need to be parasite-free. ANY and ALL new ANYTHING WET you put in the DT from that point on will need to be thoroughly QT'ed. Non-Fish separately fallowed for 10-12 weeks, and Fish TTM + Observation for 4-8 weeks.

Triggerfish

Freshwater dips have no effect on ich whatsoever

is that from your experience?
FW dips are designed to deliver an osmotic shock to the parasite. The hope is that the lower osmotic pressure of FW will cause the TROPHONTS(white dots) to rupture and die.

i had a purple tang that was infested very badly,,real bad. after a series of FW baths it did appear to provide some instant relief. obviously it's not curing anything but in extreme instances, i have found the method to be effective.

Deinonych

is that from your experience?
FW dips are designed to deliver an osmotic shock to the parasite. The hope is that the lower osmotic pressure of FW will cause the TROPHONTS(white dots) to rupture and die.

i had a purple tang that was infested very badly,,real bad. after a series of FW baths it did appear to provide some instant relief. obviously it's not curing anything but in extreme instances, i have found the method to be effective.

While lower osmotic pressure will indeed cause cell lysis, trophonts are embedded in the epithelium/gill tissue and are not exposed to it. This is why FW dips are largely ineffective.