Frogspawn and Torch Coral

RyanDragon

well,, I know this sound really stupid but I bought these 2 corals thinking that it's softies corals,,, I bought it and after 30 minutes of drip acclimating and they are now in my tank looking very happy and opening up all the way.. I took the time to go research on how to take care of these corals, and I found out that these are LPS not softies... :( so can anybody please give me some advice on how to take care of these corals ? do i have to feed it ?
My tank info :
25 gallons reef
30 lbs of liverock
96 watt T5 HO lighting
a polyps colony, couple of mushrooms,, a zoa colony,
temp 78.5 F
a clarkii clown,, 5 damsels

with your lighting you should be ok, it isnt necessary to feed them and often they will not take food, if these are your only LPS you probably wont need to supplement calcium and alkalinity as long as you keep these parameters in check with regular water changes.

these are my only LPS,, and I dose Kent essential element and Ken marine Vite every week, and I change 10 gallons of water a month..is that good enough ? oh and I also have 5 blue legged hermit crabs,, is it ok for them to be in the same tank ?

Last edited:
They will be fine. Im selling my frogspawn colonies right now and moved them out of my show tank and downstairs to my frag tank. They get 1/4 of the light they were getting in the show tank, and they look 10 times better now. They dont need 250W of light. They seem to do really well with low to med lighting.

u mean 25 gallons ? if that is wat u asking for, then it's 24" X 12" X 20" , but I have a 2 inch sand bed so that decreased the depth to 18"

Thats what i was asking, Just try raising the lights for a few days and see if that helps. 18" is not deep. So im sure its getting a lot of light.

it's currently located on the upper half of the tank so the distance from the coral to the light is 12 inch... is that too much ? should I move it down to the sand bed ?

Well its kinda funny, I know people who have the same coral as me and placement makes all the difference in the world. What works for you might not work for them. If it was me, i would move it to the sand in a corner where light is low for a few days and see what happens. Thats what i do with all of my corals, if i want them to color up more then i move them until i find a sweet spot. You really just need to play with the placement. Let us know how it works out.

just a word of caution.. don't move your corals too much. Even once a week for a few weeks can be too much. corals don't like being moved. Find the sweet spot and keep it there. I think your depth is fine if you like the way it looks and it likes the placement

I had moved the torch coral down to the sand bed but it get irritated and closed up because of the sand. So I move it back up to the original placement that it was in, and for 2 days it has open up to it fullest and looking very happy... :)

Back