Frogspawn- what chemicals are needed?

upinsmoke9

I have turned my aquarium into a fish only, but I have frogspawn that I would like to keep growing. Can someone share with me what chemical levels I need to keep to continue the frogspawn thriving? Thanks!

Alk, cal, mg: same as in my parameters in my sig line. Maintain your mg at 1350 and test weekly (don;t let it drop below 1200) and IF you start with parameters on those marks AND maintain the mg as said, AND add 2 tsp per gallon of Mrs Wages Pickling Lime (or any good kalk) to your topoff water you'll do fine. They like 13000 k lighting and that water balance. And they don't like to be near hammer or torch, though they are cousins. On maintaining kalk, just dump it into your topoff water and stir once. That's all that's needed. Excess will dissolve when more ro/di arrives. I just drop 2 lbs of Mrs Wages in 30 gal of ro/di and just let it run as topoff. I've gone on vacation for 2 weeks at a time and gotten home to a perfect tank water balance due to auto topoff and autofeeder.

Fish don't mind having an oceanlike supply of calcium either, but they use it very slowly compared to frogspawn.

Lighting will be your most required & worst 1st time expense upgrade & no escape from this fact with stony corals.
Also, if you are using just reg sea salt switching to reef sea salt will give you all the higher minerals required for a reef tank...... until the coralline & hard corals start growing & spreading down the rd. Dosing will then be necessary eventually.
Test everything monthly at least, & do a water change at least once a month of 25% and be sure to chk salinity & do a daily water evap replenishment or add a auto water top off.
Also now keep a journal of ea. test result (very importaint with hard corals) so you can remember all swings & what you will need to do to begin dosing to keep all minerals at new saltwater lvls.
Once you see reef salt is no longer keeping up with the mineral uptakes anymore i suggest you dose & test weekly verses monthly until you have the dosing set & stable hovering where you want it at new saltwater lvls or a bit higher but never lower.
One last thing use a refractometer to test salinity so you know your salinity is spot on again corals do not like unstable changes that includes salinity, mix all salt at room temp & check salinity in DT occasionally too as salt creep removal & ATO can work combined to slowly lower tank salinity.
Sounds like a lot to consider but becomes routine once everything is set & stable :)

Back