Fry's clearing out Pickling lime

scorpiocasper

Was just at the Fry's in Johnson Ranch (Queen Creek area) and they had a few of the Mrs. Wages Pickling lime for 1.50 in the clearance section.

You may want to check your local Fry's and see if they are clearing them out as well. FYI

This product was discontinued and other Fry's had it marked down about a month ago. So it's a big YMMV as to other stores having it. Got one myself last week @ the Johnson Ranch Fry's for a buck fifty.
If you live near there and are going in to get some, it was in a shopping cart at the markdown table located in front of the Pharmacy.

I just ran out of kalk so this is very timely for me. I have never used Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime and have been buying the expensive stuff and going through it pretty quickly. When reading up on pickling lime I learned that this is a great route to go to reduce the price, but it can be difficult to come upon as it is a seasonal item.

So after reading this this thread, I ran out to my local Frys and they have quite a bit of the stuff, but it wan't on sale. I bought it anyways. Actually, I bought 4 for less than $3 each. While not on sale, it is still much less expensive than what I have been buying.

Even though it wasn't on sale, it still was a good deal for me. I am just happy that I could find it.

Che

i was wondering how do you use it? i have a new jar of it that i got from a local reefer but i have no idea how to use it. thanks in advance.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12276293#post12276293 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nate487
i was wondering how do you use it? i have a new jar of it that i got from a local reefer but i have no idea how to use it. thanks in advance.

2nd. Anyone care to enlighten us on this product?

Thanks

I believe that the typical use is to mix it into the RO/DI water used for top-off (replaces evaporation) at the rate of two teaspoons per gallon, and dripped into the sump, preferably near the input to the skimmer as it may combine with phosphate and cause to precipitate out, to be swept up by the skimmer.

You only want to drip the water which is saturated with lime (has a 'filmy' appearance), and not add the undissolved white powder to the tank water as I think this may lead to pH problems, not to mentiond being unsightly. Many people use either a magnetic stirrer or small powerhead on a timer to keep the lime mixed, but some people think this is unecessary. Search for 'Kalk-reactor'.

Read more about the use of lime here: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php#19

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12280639#post12280639 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tetra-tag
I believe that the typical use is to mix it into the RO/DI water used for top-off (replaces evaporation) at the rate of two teaspoons per gallon, and dripped into the sump, preferably near the input to the skimmer as it may combine with phosphate and cause to precipitate out, to be swept up by the skimmer.

You only want to drip the water which is saturated with lime (has a 'filmy' appearance), and not add the undissolved white powder to the tank water as I think this may lead to pH problems, not to mentiond being unsightly. Many people use either a magnetic stirrer or small powerhead on a timer to keep the lime mixed, but some people think this is unecessary. Search for 'Kalk-reactor'.

Read more about the use of lime here: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php#19

PERFECT! Exactly what i think we needed. And pictures too! I couldn't figure out what it was doing at the grocery store. Now that i have read the article and seen the picture it all makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification

Thanks for posting that link! I was wondering the same thing but the search function on RC never works for me, its always busy.

Back