Fuge draining into main tank - Good or Bad?

TH

In Memoriam
I am in the planning stages for a new 180g reef tank with a sump and refugium.

My thought was to use the fuge for pod and plankton production (as well as nutrient export) and allow the pods and plankton to drain into the main tank as a supplement food source. My question is this: Is this a good idea? If not; why?

I've seen tons of fuges and read lots on them but have only seen 1 source that has the fuge draining into the main tank. Everything else I've seen or read about has the fuge draining back ito the sump.

Thanks in advance for the help...

[welcome]

It's a good idea to have the fuge drain back to the main tank, esp if it's a gravity feed with no pump. The reason you don't see it often is because it's awkward. With your 180 for example the top of the tank will be about 5' or more high, which means the top of the fuge will be more than 6' from the floor. plus you'll have the plumbing and wireing going to the fuge which can be difficult to hide.

If you have a place to do it, by all means go for it.

Thanks Agu, I appreciate the welcome...

Since most tanks I've seen (and read about) had the fuge returning to the sump, I figured there might be a good reason, NOT to have the fuge drain to the main tank.

I'm planning to pump water from the sump up to the fuge and then the fuge will gravity feed down to the main tank. I'm hoping I can produce a healthy supply of pods and plankton for my reef inhabitants to snack on...:D

I have my Fuge above my reef and ive found it works pretty nicely, except when i trim back calurpa if little pieces float down the drain into the display i get it growing in there too

but i like the fuge above tank!!!

Thanks Agu, I appreciate the welcome...

Since most tanks I've seen (and read about) had the fuge returning to the sump, I figured there might be a good reason, NOT to have the fuge drain to the main tank.

I'm planning to pump water from the sump up to the fuge and then the fuge will gravity feed down to the main tank. I'm hoping I can produce a healthy supply of pods and plankton for my reef inhabitants to snack on...:D

I have 2 x 20gallon refugiums both running back into my 125 gallon display tank and they work out great. The pods multiply so fast in the chaeto growing they can't help but to get sucked down the drain and into the top of my display tank for my fish to eat.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7810491#post7810491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shoddyk
I have 2 x 20gallon refugiums both running back into my 125 gallon display tank and they work out great. The pods multiply so fast in the chaeto growing they can't help but to get sucked down the drain and into the top of my display tank for my fish to eat.

Thanks Shoddyk...

That's exactly what I am hoping to achieve...

i have a 30g breeder fuge above my 55g display, it works out really nice, and looking at the fuge is almost as much fun as looking at the display.
here's a pic, stands are DIY :
DSCN0130.jpg

Back