Fuge for a BC29? Party Cancelled :(

cimdxb2

Premium Member
Ok, can't seem to get my nitrates below 20 on my BC29. It seems to be getting a little worse with the weather getting warmer (temp hovers around 81 now). Also, in the long run, I would like to get a little smarter about the setup I have.

Here are my thoughts.

Directly below my BC, is the storage room that has access to a drain and the RO/DI water supply. Sooooo, was thinking about putting a fuge down there with an auto feeder from the RO/DI unit.

This would help dilute the bio load, keep the water level correct, and hopefully cool the overall system since it is like 65 degrees in my basement.

Here is what I don't know....how do I setup a system of pipes/pumps so that I don't create a disaster by pumping water upstairs? I am sure there is a solution to this, but have zero experience with what is available.

The auto topoff for the RO/DI...that should be easy, correct?

I also wanted to make some way to do larger water changes easier by just having a drain out of the fuge (is this still needed?)

Thoughts/ideas would be great.....

I would even consider hiring out to get this accomplished if someone wants a side gig.

I tried the party idea, but that is not getting any traction. Sent out 12 invites, got two no-go's and not one yes. I guess doing this in the summer months is a bad idea, or maybe I should change it to a weekday because everyone's calendar's are such a mess. Or peeps are thinking....what is with this new guy? He drops on our boards and thinks he can impose on our wisdom by bribing us with beer ;) k, you all got me....you aren't week enough to be bribed by beer....hhhmmm what would work?

k, thanks in advance for ideas/info!

Dave

well I will be in Bolingbrook Saturday morning and will come by and give you what little advise I can if you want

I don't think it would be worth putting a fuge in your basement for a biocube. You'd probably spend more setting it up then you dis for the tank. Under your stand yes and then you could put a fan to cool your tank, ATO for evap, and a fuge or skimmer to help control water quality.

I had one in mine i drilled the back of the tank and ran a 10 gallon tank in the stand as a fuge made a big diffrence. had alot of pods for my manderin and everything just seemed healthier

I would not drain your water from your fuge--you'll be draining out a lot of pods. Actually, I top off my tank from my fuge, to push pods into my main tank.

i put an aquafuge with skimmer on the back of my aquapod24 and it has been great for controling water quality. cheato, liverock and a skimmer all in a 19x12 space right behind my pod. as far as the ato, i need one also cause of the fan/evap. i am just going to use an aga 5g. in the boicube stand my pod is on and get a jbj ato. HTH

How about some information on the Biocube..... What kind of filtration are you running, hows the bio-load, etc....

I kept my water parameters perfect in my BC29 with a pair of percs, flame angel, six line wrasse, cleaner shrimp, clam, and a BTA.

Salinity = 1.023
Ph = 8.2
Temp = 80
NH3=0
NO2=0
NO3=20

Just bought a calcium and Alk test kits. I will post those numbers soon.

I am running a saphire skimmer (took out the bio balls), upgraded the pump from a 250 to a 350 and doubled the lighting.

One theory I have is that the temp climbs to the 82-83 during the day and is too hot. So I have pulled the heater and have pointed a fan at the cube (W/Both flaps now open).

I have two clowns, a green chromis, fire fish, and various snails. Also have an eel (but he is planning to take a trip to a larger tank assuming I can catch the little guy).

I change the water once a week (5 gallons) w/RO-DI water.

Also run purigen (change it monthly).

Dave

Ok, calcium is 315.

Here is a pic of the tank as of a week ago. Since then, the brain has died and the purple clam is now only opening 1/2 way. Also lost one snail.

147741BC29-med.jpg

Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9879459#post9879459 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cimdxb2
Ok, calcium is 315.

Here is a pic of the tank as of a week ago. Since then, the brain has died and the purple clam is now only opening 1/2 way. Also lost one snail.

147741BC29-med.jpg

Dave

What about ALK?

Temp swings could be a problem for sure...

Depending on the lighting on your cube a clam might not fare well in there.....

Do you actually replace out the Purigen monthly? It really should be good for 3 months (or till it looks totay brown) & can be recharged 3x.

I am running the 4.36 light mod, sapphire, chemi-pure and plain old filter media on a used Bc cartridge. My water params stay pretty steady with a weekly 5 gal water change. Corals do great but I did lose 2 fish within the last month. Tank has been running since last Oct. Temp is running around 80-81. I do have a MJ 600 for more flow which really helps churn things up. The xenia stretch across the tank almost to the front glass when the lights kick up. I have the stock pump in the back also.

I had the same problem with nitrates. It just took some patience and the water changes. Also pull that saphhire out and clean it completely and it will run so much better. I have stayed away from clams since I feel I don't have the best lighting for it and that also includes sps.

here's a tank shot of mine

im1.jpg

When I had my BC29 running, I had the 4.36 mod and my temps never went above 80.5. I was running a Rio 6HF pump, sapphire skimmer, and a 100w stealth heater.

My filtration was a modified stock filter, a small bag of seagel, and a bag of chemi-pure in the third chamber. I removed the stock blue sponge from the third chamber and kinda "jam" the chemipure bag into there so the water is forced through the bag.

I used to do 5 gallon water changes weekly with Seachem Reefsalt, my CA was always around 410, 0 phosphates, 1.025 SG, 0 for ammonia, trites, and trates.

My clam did VERY well under the 4.36 lighting mod, although it was at the top of the rockwork, about 4" from the lights. I dosed phyto and used rods food only in the tank.

Did you put in the upgraded fans from nanotuners for the 4.36 mod, or did you stay with the stock ones ???

One thing I did that seemed to also help with my temps was that I "Y"'ed off the discharge with locline, and aimed one to break up the surface, and put a hydorflo on the other end so it got plenty of crazy flow in the tank, and the water surface is always broken up. I would suggest that to see if it helps with your temps.

Heres a picture of my BC29 right before I broke it down.... the clam is pulled in because the damn flame angel picked at it like 2 seconds before taking the picture... He is now happy as a clam (imagine that) sitting at RobTops till I get my new house and 90 gallon tank setup..... But it gives you a good look at the locline mod on the discharge.

fts2.22.07.jpg

Last edited:
ok, my alk is 1.5. So called my LFS and they told me to double my dose of purple up. I guess this will raise the alk and calcium? Also I am pretty sure the clam died :( Rest of the corals and fish seem to be ok.

I put the mod fans in when I bought the light kit from nanatuners.

Yesterday I put a 100 GPH pump inside the tank for some extra flow.

I also set the heater to 79 and blew a fan over the top. Hopefully they will cancel each other out and keep the temp constant. Although long term I can't imagine having a fan running 24 x 7. Maybe that is just a fact.

I am also going to increase my water changes from 5 to 10 gallons a week.

What are rods food?

Frustrating hobby.....

Dave

Rod's food is a coral and fish food that is made locally by Rod at Rod's Reef....many of us feed it to our tanks....

Back