fuge ideas?

Anthony.Luciano

ok so i need some ideas on how to fix up my fuge. i have a 4 inch sandbed with a bunch of lr and chaeto. i don't have any powerheads or anything in it the flow just comes from the regular sump flow. i have alot of stuff that gets trapped in there and i suspect it will soon cause a phosphate/nitrate problem but if i put a powerhead in there it blows up the sand. now what do you guys think would be more beneficial. keeping it the way it is and just cleaning the rocks more often or taking out the sandbed and putting high flow for the cheato and live rock.

no, no noticeable growth yet. i dont really have alot of flow in the fuge thats why i was wondering if i should remove the sandbed and put alot of flow for the cheato to spin because even if i put a little maxijet into the sump the sand gets kicked up alot since its sugar grain size.
I like to use a shop-vac to remove any collecting detritus.

It is my understanding that your chaeto should have a lot flow "in" that chamber but very slow flow "through" it.
For example, point a power head up toward the top of the water in that chamber (if you have it sectioned off) to keep the chaeto tumbling. I tried the DSB in my sump for awhile but didn't like it for the specific reason you stated that detritus just ends up trapped there because it is a low spot in the system.

yep i have about 500 gph going through the fuge so thats a nice amount right in the middle of fast and slow i just cant put a powerhead with the bed there. i think i might just remove a little at a time and put it in the dt.
It is my understanding that your chaeto should have a lot flow "in" that chamber but very slow flow "through" it.
For example, point a power head up toward the top of the water in that chamber (if you have it sectioned off) to keep the chaeto tumbling. I tried the DSB in my sump for awhile but didn't like it for the specific reason you stated that detritus just ends up trapped there because it is a low spot in the system.

Back