fuge

Not really getting what your asking. A fuge for a 29gal? Yes, a fuge for any size tank is a plus. A very good benifit, plus it's adds water volume making it a little more stable. You will find a skimmer is still a good idea.

a fuge full of LR and calerpa will take out a load of nutrients, add a skimmer and is great. Plus, if you don't have a sump, you can add your equipment so it's not showing in your display.

did u make ur own? or buy one.. i was thinking about using a 10 gal to make my own but i'm dumb when it comes to that stuff.. so i was lookin on that site.. seen they and seen they had those.. wondered would it be worth getting it or leaving it..

For my 55, I used a 20 gal rubbermaid container. Works great. Not the best of looking, but does the job. I've pulled out about everything now as I'm about to break down the 55. It worked great when everything was in there. Now just a skimmer and probes.

I made mine out of a pre-built walmart 10 gal tank. Mine was a little advanced, but here are the plans of mine.

I also cheated on this one.. I didn't feel like doing actual acrylic work, so I just bought a cheap acrylic scoring knife from Lowes, and then epoxied the acrylic together, and to the glass.. I know someone out there will say you can't do that, but hey.. I did it and it works fine! :p Would I do it again.. You bet! Would I do it on a sump bigger than a 10gal or on one you could easily see? No way! It looks ugly, but works!

10 gal tank $12
2 sheets of 1/4" acrylic $14 (only needed one)
epoxy $4

Total cost $30

Ability to tell everyone that I told ya I could do it ........ Priceless..

Anyways.. Here are the plans I used.

sump1.jpg

sump2.jpg

sump3.jpg

Ohh, and yes I made modifacations as I was building it... I didn't like my plans 100% so I removed the live rock rubble area completely, and move the bubble traps closer to the skimmer..

There is also the flaw that I can skim up some pods, but with 2.5lbs of live rock in a 22, and nothing in the tank that "needs" pods.. I dont care... =P

Holy cow fareforce, those are some sweet cad drawings you have. And for a 10 gallon at that!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9836329#post9836329 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
Since nobody posted the link to the mothership, I suppose I will. :D

www.melevsreef.com/links.html

haha.. what we any of us do without that site! :D

I forgot to add if you go to Lowes to buy the acrylic. Get plexiglass. Lexan is the other one the carry. It will work, but it is a little more flexable, and harder to work with. If you want to do it the right way (by chemically melting it together) you will need to visit a local plastic shop. You will need Weldon #4 (and #16 if this is your first time working with plastic), and try to buy Acrylite plastic. It is the best stuff to work with, and works great for fishtanks!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9836347#post9836347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JR719
Holy cow fareforce, those are some sweet cad drawings you have. And for a 10 gallon at that!

LOL.. :D I wish I could take credit for them, but I got frustrated and gave the computer to the wife with my sketches.. She drew them up for me! :lol:

You should see the sketches she has to put into cad for my 180gal with its 75 gal sump, seperate 55 fuge, and seperate twin 30 gal deep sand beds... She is going to hate me!

onecrzyboi4u

If you decide to try it and get stuck, PM me. I will try to un-stick you!

Heck, I'm looking at either a 100 or 125 for a sump fuge, have her do one up for me! I'll have an external skimmer, but want a large fuge area. If she is interested, I'll PM.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9836371#post9836371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JR719
Heck, I'm looking at either a 100 or 125 for a sump fuge, have her do one up for me! I'll have an external skimmer, but want a large fuge area. If she is interested, I'll PM.

I doubt she will want to do that.. lol... But the program we use is free.. It's google sketchup.. Pretty easy to use.. It only took her about 1 hour to learn it (if that). I have been playing with it a bit, but after 3 years of studying hand drawn architecture I have come to hate CAD... lol..

But hey.. I can build a square box on it now! :lol:

Yea, I know what you mean about cad. I've been planning on just using the 'ol tape measure for mine. All glass, no plexi, and have the store cut the glass.

Back