Functional type "Hatchet?"

The hatchet species of stomatopod tend to be the older species as the hatchet is inferior to the more modern dedicated club / spear.

Hemisquilla is one of the oldest known family that all modern ones have formed off due to unique environmental habitats.

To my knowledge, Acanthosquilla are the only stomatopods with a hatchet, and we don't know what its function is. Hemisquilla has a sort of proto-club, not a hatchet. Look at the picture of the Acanthosquilla at the link above, it has a very unique dactyl. The presence of this elaboration in only a single, relatively modern family suggests that it is a recent and highly specialized adaptation.

I have never published a description of "hatchet" functional types, but Sheila Patek and I have both given papers where we discussed it. One squillid that I would consider to fall into this functional class is Fallowsquilla fallax (see attached).

Roy

Attachments

• Fallowsquilla fallax 2 small.jpg
    Fallowsquilla fallax 2 small.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1
How do they use this 'Hatchet' claw? Is it basicly similiar to a regular spearer, smasher, can do both, or something complete off track or hard to figure out?

All stomatopods that I have seen can strike with either a closed or open dactyl. "Spearers" typically strike soft bodied prey such as fish and shrimp with an open dactyl impaling the prey on the dactyl spines, but when fighting defensively they will often strike with a closed dactyl. I have always assumed that this was to avoid getting the raptorial appendages stuck in a powerful opponent or predator which could cause them to be torn off. Some spearers such as Squilla empusa will also break up thin shelled bivalves striking the shell with the heel of the closed dactyl.

"Smashers" break apart hard shelled prey, modify cavities, and fight armored opponents striking with a closed dactyl. However, they will stab soft bodied predators and competitors (octopus, fish, humans) with an open dactyl.

The hatchet morphology is found in a few squillids and lysiosquillids. These animals burrow in soft sediments and feed on clams and crustaceans. The "bladed" heel of the dactyl seems well suited to chopping up cuticle and thin shell while maintaining a functional spearing appendage. I have not seen them fight intraspecifically, but my guess is that would they strike with a closed dactyl.

The relatively undifferentiated "spike" dactyl of Hemisquillids and Pseudosculdids would seem to be a fourth functional type of raptorial appendage. Good for smashing, the robust dactyl can also be driven home into opponents without becoming stuck or broken.

Roy

Back