Fungus??? on Clown Fins??

happyface888

I don't have the slightest clue what my clown has. My black saddle back's bottom two fins are covered with a glob of white stuff. It has not spread to any other fishes in my tank besides its partner clown.
It doesn't look like it has any effect on the clowns however the white globs are slowly eating away the fins. So what is this sorry I dont have a picture. This disease seems to be on the clowns only, its been a month and it hasn't gone away.

What can I do to help my clown??

ok I think I figured it out, clowns got lymphocystis disease......... This is so annoying anyone know how to reverse this disease???

Lymphocystis is very much like a wart. It usually doesn't kill a fish unless it's on the mouth or gills and inhibits breathing or feeding. It is ugly as sin though!

Try feeding a garlic saturated food and make sure that the water quality is up to par. If you can beef up the fish's immune systems, they can kick them off themselves. Some fish like juvenile hogs will sometimes eat them too, but I don't think that a clown would allow cleaning behavior from them...

my clowns been having that stuff I think more than a month all it does is get bigger and bigger and it spreads to other fins.....
So maintaining good water quality and feeding more would help them recover?

Not feeding more; feeding a food that is going to boost their immune system. It's not a cure all and if a fish is stressed for some other reason (being chased by another fish, disturbed by frequent traffic in front of the tank, etc, etc) it may not be able to heal.

Start with the basics though; where are your nitrates running? Are temps and pH stable? What kind of diet are you feeding the fish? Variety? How are the fish acting and behaving towards one another? You'll need to play a little detective, but if you don't find any red flags, a garlic based food is one of the better solutions.

If it gets really bad, physical removal is a last option, but believe me when I say that you don't want to go this route except to save a fish's life. If it's just the fin edges though, you are not at that point though...

Thanks for the tips I will have to check my levels later.
This stuff isn't contagious right??? I haven't noticed my other fish with it but I'd like to be positive first.

Back