Funny Yello Tang

FraggledRock

My fish are in QT and my Yellow tang thinks my green chromis are all cleaner fish

It turns sideways and hovers next to one in hopes they clean em up lol

Is this an indication of something or just a yellow tang being a yellow tang?

My fish are in QT and my Yellow tang thinks my green chromis are all cleaner fish

I don't think that you are in trouble! It may just be acting silly. However, the real question is why are you even thinking about putting a tang in a 40b? There is only 3 ft of space for the little guy to swim! If you care for your animals, please return the fish from wherever you got it.

I don't think that you are in trouble! It may just be acting silly. However, the real question is why are you even thinking about putting a tang in a 40b? There is only 3 ft of space for the little guy to swim! If you care for your animals, please return the fish from wherever you got it.

ouch.

Yes I know the rules, I am not trying to break them.

When I was looking at fish at a reputable Manhattan LFS, I was asked if I wanted one. I told them that I wasn't allowed to, since I had a small tank.

They guy knew what I was saying. He has been in the industry a long time. He said that it was my decision, but he feels bad telling people what they can and cant have. he said that It(the juvenile 2" Tang) would outgrow the tank but not that fast. he said when the times comes to bring it back.

I couldn't resist. =P

ouch.

Yes I know the rules, I am not trying to break them.

When I was looking at fish at Manhattan aquariums, I was asked if I wanted one. I told them that I wasn't allowed to, since I had a small tank.

They guy knew what I was saying. He has been in the industry a long time. He said that it was my decision, but he feels bad telling people what they can and cant. he said that It(the juvenile 2" Tang would outgrow the tank but not that fast. he said when the times comes to bring it back.

I couldn't resist. =P

Sorry, I was not trying to be mean, or condescending! I too had a thread on if I wanted to keep a yellow tang in my 75, and lots of people said no, so I decided on a kole tang! They are much prettier IMHO. I can see where you are coming from, but be careful. Some LFS may refuse the animal when you bring it back! Also, you may have an emotional attachment to the fish, which may make it hard for you to let it go. When the time comes, please make sure you do. It is best for the animal. Once again, I am not trying to be mean, but just trying to make sure what is best for the animals!

Sorry, I was not trying to be mean, or condescending! I too had a thread on if I wanted to keep a yellow tang in my 75, and lots of people said no, so I decided on a kole tang! They are much prettier IMHO. I can see where you are coming from, but be careful. Some LFS may refuse the animal when you bring it back! Also, you may have an emotional attachment to the fish, which may make it hard for you to let it go. When the time comes, please make sure you do. It is best for the animal. Once again, I am not trying to be mean, but just trying to make sure what is best for the animals!

Yea I understand. I thought about the emotional part. It would be tough.

My fear would then be, what if I bring it back after its big and they sell it to someone with a small tank again! =P

Haha, that is odd. >< Fish do that sometimes. Sometimes they are just downright weird and act so clumsy. But that's good. When they do stuff like that, they are not worried about life and death. A good sign imo.

Anyways, regarding your tank size, yeah the Yellow Tang will outgrow it, but so long as you know that and be ready to move it on when it grows larger, that's cool. :)

Haha, that is odd. >< Fish do that sometimes. Sometimes they are just downright weird and act so clumsy. But that's good. When they do stuff like that, they are not worried about life and death. A good sign imo.

Anyways, regarding your tank size, yeah the Yellow Tang will outgrow it, but so long as you know that and be ready to move it on when it grows larger, that's cool. :)

Cool

Just a funny read. I was researching Yellow tangs again and my tanks and I found this:

I just going to leave this here for those who like reading ;P
http://coralmagazine-us.com/content/arrested-tang-police-i-refuse-confess

not judging anyone but I found it humorous and informative.

My favorite quote:

" The problem is that the biomass of fish in the ocean is on the order of one clownfish in a 20,000 gallon tank (The CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics gives the density of living matter in the oceans as: 15*10-8g/cm3.)—so if you want to keep things on the same order of magnitude, you better not keep ANY fish in your tank. The difference between a 75 and a 150-gallon aquarium is inconsequential compared to the potential amount of swimming room that fish have in the wild."

&

"As previously noted, the Tang Constabulary will frequently state: “That fish cannot be happy in that size tank”. Now, I hope they don’t mean “happy” as in human emotion, and I’ll assume that they really mean “unstressed.” So – their statement is then, that fish kept in smaller aquariums are more stressed."

&

"I spoke with a researcher who has actually measured cortisol (stress hormone) levels in wild and captive parrotfish (Turner et-al 2003). He states that after one week of acclimation, there was no difference in cortisol levels between sub-adult parrotfish housed in 50-gallon aquariums compared to those housed in 150-gallon tanks (Turner 2010, pers. comm.)."

& Bullet point #7

Cool

Just a funny read. I was researching Yellow tangs again and my tanks and I found this:

I just going to leave this here for those who like reading ;P
http://coralmagazine-us.com/content/arrested-tang-police-i-refuse-confess

not judging anyone but I found it humorous and informative.

My favorite quote:

" The problem is that the biomass of fish in the ocean is on the order of one clownfish in a 20,000 gallon tank (The CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics gives the density of living matter in the oceans as: 15*10-8g/cm3.)"”so if you want to keep things on the same order of magnitude, you better not keep ANY fish in your tank. The difference between a 75 and a 150-gallon aquarium is inconsequential compared to the potential amount of swimming room that fish have in the wild."

&

"As previously noted, the Tang Constabulary will frequently state: "œThat fish cannot be happy in that size tank". Now, I hope they don't mean "œhappy" as in human emotion, and I'll assume that they really mean "œunstressed." So "“ their statement is then, that fish kept in smaller aquariums are more stressed."

&

"I spoke with a researcher who has actually measured cortisol (stress hormone) levels in wild and captive parrotfish (Turner et-al 2003). He states that after one week of acclimation, there was no difference in cortisol levels between sub-adult parrotfish housed in 50-gallon aquariums compared to those housed in 150-gallon tanks (Turner 2010, pers. comm.)."

& Bullet point #7

That's what I always say! Compared to the wild habitats of these fish, even the biggest tanks are still prisons. XD

Of course, there are parameters beside swimming space though. XD But in general, really this is still a hobby, and everyone's gonna have different opinions on everything.

Sounds more like aggression to me, trying to show dominance.

Sounds more like aggression to me, trying to show dominance.

+1 I would suggest keeping a close eye on that tang or an ear for splashing noise. It may be a threat to the other fish and the next idea of the tang may just be to slam into the side of the other fish trying ( and will likely) wound the other fish.

+1 I would suggest keeping a close eye on that tang or an ear for splashing noise. It may be a threat to the other fish and the next idea of the tang may just be to slam into the side of the other fish trying ( and will likely) wound the other fish.

I havnt seen that happen but he also did the same to my peppermint shrimp..

I dunno, my Blue Tang pushed against my Clarkii for a while when they were first introduced. Then they became best friends.

Of course this is a Yellow Tang and a Chromis, but it is similar behaviour.

The tang police are out.

A yellow in a 75 isn't horrible, but not ideal. I have a yellow in my 70 and he is just fine. Just don't overfeed and their growth stays minimal. Mine is very happy, active and displaying natural behaviors which indicates to me he is under no stress at all.

Putting a naso tang in a 75 would require a call to the tang police though

Back